Vernonia Lake Bass Fishing

TerribleFisherman12
TerribleFisherman12
Fished for maybe hour and half caught 4 largemouth, the biggest of which got away when I dunked him in the water to get the mud off.

Vernonia Lake Bass Fishing

Reactions: bass, spark, Admin and 1 other person
Wacky rig always works good job.

Reactions: TerribleFisherman12
Thanks man!

Reactions: S3AN

Finally caught a fish out of the Vernonia pond that didn’t seem stunted.​

I fish this pond several times a week to hunt for the fabled 5+ pounders this forum and others have said are here. Maybe there was in the past but I’ve caught maybe 30 bass out of the pond over the course of about a month and this was the first that wasn’t super skinny and short. I think the pond has some issues. I saw something on another forum site that odfw did a survey in 2019 and the largest the found was 2 lbs. Not sure of the validity of that statement.

Bass out of the Vernonia pond

Reactions: bass and Admin
I would concentrate on deepest spots (West Dock area).

Vernonia Lake Fishing Map

Admin said:
I would concentrate on deepest spots (West Dock area).

View attachment 640825
I hardly ever catch fish off that dock. Not sure if it’s because that’s where everyone else fishes but I have much better luck else where. I got a 4 inch floating Rapala, you think that could piss off some aggressive ones enough to bite?

TerribleFisherman12 said:
I got a 4 inch floating Rapala
a popper or a walker?

New PB at vernonia lake this evening. Caught on a wacky rigged senko. I want to use other stuff but the wacky senko just produces so well I’m scared to change haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diehard, Snopro, bass and 2 others
I want to use other stuff but the wacky senko just produces so well I’m scared to change
Don't you use a snap swivel? It allows you to change a lure in seconds.

Admin said:
Don't you use a snap swivel? It allows you to change a lure in seconds.
This lake is pretty clear so I do not

I see. So if you cast unweighted wacky senko your fishing distance is quite limited I guess. How far can you cast it?

Admin said:
I see. So if you cast unweighted wacky senko your fishing distance is quite limited I guess. How far can you cast it?
I’m using a wacky jig hook and 5 inch yama worm with salt in it so I can get some decent distance. Apparently enough to get into the deeper water!

That's cool.
I just thinking that bigger (read smarter) fish might not let you to get close enough.

@bass how would you fish Vernonia lake from a bank?

Admin said:
That's cool.
I just thinking that bigger (read smarter) fish might not let you to get close enough.

@bass how would you fish Vernonia lake from a bank?
Do you really think using a snap swivel would lower the rate of bites? Lots of people fish this lake so it’s pretty pressured

Do you really think using a snap swivel would lower the rate of bites?
There is only one way to find out. )

Admin said:
There is only one way to find out. )
I have a problem where if I think there’s even the slightest chance of it not working as well as what I’m currently using I just won’t use it. I need to get out of the habit because eventually I feel like I’m gonna get to a point where the senko just isn’t cutting it lol. I want to try swim baits they just cost so much.

I hear you. )
I personally wouldn't use a snap swivel. To tie a knot doesn't take much longer, than to snap that swivel.
However, I would certainly have more than one type of lures with me. And at least two colors of each. And different sizes... Which makes a full tackle box. )

Admin said:
I hear you. )
I personally wouldn't use a snap swivel. To tie a knot doesn't take much longer, than to snap that swivel.
However, I would certainly have more than one type of lures with me. And at least two colors of each. And different sizes... Which makes a full tackle box. )
I feel you on that. Unfortunately my rod only casts 3/8 to 1 1/4 so I’m pretty limited. I was able to cast 5/16 decent just had to be sure the rod was actually loaded when casting. Do you think I could just get a smaller rod? It’s a lews mach crush combo 1st gen

I don't know much about bass fishing. Do hope that @bass will be in the mood to share some knowledge with you.

A wacky rigged senko is a great choice.

If you want to cover water a little faster a Carolina rig might be a good choice. Not sure how the weeds are but if they are matted then a frog or punching with a Texas rigged creature bait would be worth trying.

Also if there is open water sometimes a topwater like a walking bait or plopped can generate bigger bites.

Other choices for covering water if the weefs are fairly thick include a Texas rigged underspin or Texas rigged 5" salty Kalin grub fished like a speed worm.

Reactions: Snopro and Admin
Back
Top Bottom