Cabela's bargain cave - Mmmmm good

GungasUncle

GungasUncle

Some of ya'll maybe be aware that I've been trying to find a couple replacements for my broken, dead rods. One of the rods I've been looking hard at, and actually the front runner over may others - was the Cabela's LSi. This is one of their top tier rods, and they run from $180 to 200 -- typically more than I like to spend on a single rod. but my birthday is a week from yesterday, and I decided to treat myself this year to a nicer, more expensive toy.

I've been casting and wiggling and ogling rods for two weeks now. And this morning, i hop online and check Cabela's website again (a daily habit, I confess) and BAM - the LSi rods are in the Bargain Cave now. 2 piece rods going for $107 (regular price $179), 4 piece for $113 (regular $189) and 5 piece are $119 ($199 regular). That clinched the deal for me on making a decision. Didn't even need to whip out the credit card, since they have my crap on file.

For giggles I priced out a combo - a Prestige Plus mid arbor reel, a Prestige WF 6 fly line, and backing. $171.50 total price including shipping (50 cents if your order is over $99, good through Monday). Giddy as a school girl, since the LSi/Prestige Plus combo is still going for $239.99 (the combos are not bargain caved, but both the LSi rod and the Prestige Plus reels are, for some reason). The only difference is the fly line. I opted for the Prestige line instead of Prestige Plus - because honestly, next spring I intend to replace the line with a Scientific Angler's Sharkskin line. The folks at the Cabela's fly shop told me that Scientific Anglers is their OEM line maker for this line and their Prestige Premier line, so I'm not worried terribly.

Fifty cent shipping saved me a tank of gas going to Springfield and back - at least just for a visit to Cabela's. I can put that gas to better use - like hopping over the hill to the Deschutes (which I'm jonesing to do sooner rather than later.). Mebbe the fish gods will smile upon me, and I can wind up hitting the Big D at the same time October Caddis are coming off.

The best part of the whole bargain cave buy - is that I'll have enough left next week to go visit Don at River City and buy another rod from him, to replace the other broken rod. So now instead of focusing on 5-6 weight rods, I can shop for 3-4 weight rods. :cool:

The Bargain Cave is worth a look today.

Reactions: eggs
Forgot to mention - the LSi Spey and Switch rods are also on sale - upto $100 off. If you want to get into double hander fishing - this is a hell of a steal. I played with the LSi two handers at the shop down in Springfield, and they're none too shabby themselves.

get in on their Cabelas brand tappered leaders.. they are climix leaders and dirt cheap for a pack of 4 only like 6.99.. hands down the best leaders i have used and by far the cheapest.

amen to the leaders, and i myself just got anew catch and release net, plus a 4 piece,8'6' 4 wt wind river rod from cabelas. just got the rod today and its badass. better then my little junker. :lol: if i had the money id pick up a 5wt too but i need a new fly line and more flies :lol: but i got the 89.99 dollar rod, the 15 dollar catch and release net for around $65 with shipping. damn good deal. got me the stuff i need and saved money for other gear like flies,floatant and indicators. nice job on finding the deal though. thats a steal!

Last edited:
Good deal GU, hope you enjoy that rod!

Randy

Yeah I do, and John, I'll keep your suggestion in mind RE: the heavier rod for carpin'. That Echo Carbon 6 weight could easily throw a #7 line, and seemed like it had quite a bit of back bone. I *might* just wind up with it, or the Carbon 7 weight instead of a light rod. At this point though, it's anyone's guess what is coming home next week. :) I could probably go with another single hander 8 weight (sold mine after buying my switch rod) - but 8 weights aren't terribly fun to fish for me. 7's feel livelier.

And I wonder something: Could I use my switch rod effectively for carping? I mean, it has a lot of power, casts well single handed, and has plenty of reach. What do you think - usable for carp, or is a single hander really that much better for carping?

the echo carbon is one bad azz rod...

eggs said:
get in on their Cabelas brand tappered leaders.. they are climix leaders and dirt cheap for a pack of 4 only like 6.99.. hands down the best leaders i have used and by far the cheapest.

gotta love the cabelas leaders,,,awesome price

I wouldn't recommend a switch for carping. My dad has one, but it is really for distance as opposed to accuracy, and accuracy is paramount for carp. I would absolutely stick to a single hander. I do prefer a longer rod so you can do some stealth dapping occasionally. My main two carping rods are a g loomis native run glx and a sage vt2...both are 9 ft 6 inch 7 wts. I think a 7 is ideal for caro. Not as clunky as the 8 wt, but strong and with backbone. I landed this monster on my loomis 7 this spring.
9b9a874d.png

Carp are really tough on rods, and with some of the monsters in the big c (I catch probably 15 fish a year over 20 lbs) I think a six weight is just too light. Ok for local ponds, but the Columbia fish will crush a six weight. I used to fish a six wt st Croix legend ultra (great rod) but it sits in the tube broken by a carp. I should really repair that rod!

Light wt rods are great, but the more I fish, the more I settle into a seven wt as the best all around weight. I fished the 7 in AK every day but o e and never felt over gunned...plus it was big enough that when I spotted that pike I was in the game. The way I figure it, the take is the premier moment (as my buddy mr p says).

Good luck man! Feel free to stop by my place sometime if you want to cast some rods. I have a decent variety, including a bunch of cane rods that are fun to cast.

I prefer to carp fish with a Bow and Arrow! LOL ------> ><))))> :)

Reactions: brandon4455
Back
Top Bottom