Yellowstone Lake - eradicating lake trout?

Interesting...

They could have spent less putting a bounty on the fish and encouraging anglers to take and keep lake trout. You could even increase the limit. Maybe offer a prize for the largest fish caught weekly...

They've done this in other lakes and I don't think it makes a big enough dent. With netting, they can swoop up almost all of the spawners at the same time since they are concentrated in certain areas.

chrisohm said:
They could have spent less putting a bounty on the fish and encouraging anglers to take and keep lake trout. You could even increase the limit. Maybe offer a prize for the largest fish caught weekly...

The more they use netting as a means to get rid of the fish, the more native trout they are eradicating in the process. Not much can really be done that won't impact something else.

chrisohm said:

Those were my exact thoughts too.

I helped USGS in their eradication efforts on a different Montana lake. They leave the nets in place for an hour or so and then check them from a boat. We released lots of live cutts and kept lots of live lake trout for a tracking/implanting program. I don't think I saw a single fish killed in the nets.

Best,

It's better than just dumping rotenone in the water and starting completely over. Relying on anglers to put a dent in the population would never pan out, and who wants to keep those things in large quantities? They taste absolutely awful.