Will this weekend work magic for the rivers?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I know there will be lots of pudding water for a few days, but then, it should bring the fish in, right? It sounds like there will be a significant amount of rain, possibly enough to cause flooding. Be careful out there if you choose to go out.
http://www.wunderground.com/US/OR/004.html#SPE

Yeah, I've heard from 2 - 5" of rain. Sounds like that'll blow the rivers out, for a while. But that should bring some steel in, for some taggin' n' baggin'!

Yeah i posted on the storm is coming thread this morning saying the Slaw is predicted to rise 10 feet from 6 to 16 feet. Now its predicted to hit over 20 feet! Fish will come in for sure, will be a while before it's fishable at that level. It's minor flood stage, big change from last year so far.

There is already is plenty of water for the fish to be here.

Yogidabear said:
There is already is plenty of water for the fish to be here.

Yes, but a big rise in the river always brings in big numbers.

Oh my! Batten down the hatches! A major Pineapple Express, is on the way, with predictions of 5-8" of rain along the coast on Saturday and Sunday. Predictions include 2-5" of rain in the Willy Valley too!

Pineapple Express.jpg

http://www.oregonlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2014/12/portland_forecast_pineapple_ex_1.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Steelhead could come in at practically any level. A big storm like this will run large amounts of fresh water through estuaries and into the ocean. This will trigger a significant run of fish into the free flowing part of the river on the backside of the storm.

hobster said:
Yes, but a big rise in the river always brings in big numbers.

troutdude said:
Oh my! Batten down the hatches! A major Pineapple Express, is on the way,

Some pinapple express huh.

troutmasta said:
Some pineapple express huh.

oh yeah, we are getting hammered here in Florence...this storm is the real deal. nothing to do today but bake some festive cookies....

Last edited:
Same thing in Corvegas; been raining solid ALL night long--downpours at times.

I agree there has been more then enough rain to draw fish into the systems all month long. Like a herd of well trained dogs though these broodstock fish will run straight into the fish traps and hatcheries as the river drops. That is the one thing I have noticed with the change to broodstock fish, whenever there is a big rain, you will get a day or two of good fishing, then the traps and hatcheries fill with fish and it is over. Thats why I dislike these big heavy rain events so much, or maybe the broodstock programs, it just doesn't work out all that well for fisherman.