Why do some fisherman do this?

I
igquick
Sometimes when I watch fishing videos, a fisherman fighting a strong/big fish will pull out a few feet of line manually with their hand while keeping tension on the fish.

My guess was that they do this periodically in order to check if the drag is still correctly working, and not jammed. I do this too now just based on this assumption. Your thoughts?

Iv only done this to make sure the drag isn't too tight while fighting a fish i really want to land.

Throbbit _Shane said:
Iv only done this to make sure the drag isn't too tight while fighting a fish i really want to land.

It makes total sense, a double check on the drag....I admit I did that today for the same reason lol

igquick said:
My guess was that they do this periodically in order to check if the drag is still correctly working, and not jammed. I do this too now just based on this assumption. Your thoughts?

I do this too, but maybe just a few inches at a time?

Yea, I must have exaggerated about pulling a few feet of it out, more like a few inches

Throbbit _Shane said:

+1

I did that all the time when using 'star drag' trolling wheels but since switching to 'lever drag' reels, I don't do it anymore.

Well call me crazy, but I check my drag before I hook the fish.

DrTheopolis said:
Well call me crazy, but I check my drag before I hook the fish.

:lol: Yeah, I've lost a couple of steelhead fooling with the drag, learned the hard way. I always check it before also and try not to fool with it once hooked up, sometimes in needs a little fine tuning.

hobster said:
:lol: Yeah, I've lost a couple of steelhead fooling with the drag, learned the hard way. I always check it before also and try not to fool with it once hooked up, sometimes in needs a little fine tuning.

I'm a fan of a really weak drag while fishing in the boat with the clicker on. Hook up and tighten as needed until netted. Usually after the fish is on board, I cannot believe how tight I got that drag tightened down!

Best,

I'm the same way, better safe than sorry