What is this rod?

M
Moe
So a very nice guy gave me a couple rods for free:

Okuma Celilo CE-C-802H-1 8' 12-25LB 1/2-4oz

Narmco inc. Conolon 414s
My question is about the narmco, I don't know if its a fly rod or what. It looks like a really cool rod and I would love some background information about it. It looks about 8' or 8'6.

• IMG_20131115_182745.jpg
  • IMG_20131115_182740.jpg
  • IMG_20131115_182728.jpg
  • IMG_20131115_182722.jpg
  • IMG_20131115_182714.jpg
Yeah, its a fly rod. Never seen one of those though, old school, I like it.

It is indeed old school. It's a fly rod, from the 1950's, or early 60's...depending on the ferrule and other components. Fenwick, and Lamiglas also used similar blanks. So...free is a VERY good price! You SCORED well young Jedi! :thumb:

However, if you should find yourself feeling the Christmas spirit, and would like to re-gift it...I'll be right there! :lol:

Nice score. Those ol school rods have a higher luck rating if you believe that sorta thing!

Here's a pic, of one of my vintage fly rods. Note that the blank, is very similar (if not the same) as your new find. The ferrule on mine, is indicative of an early-to-mid sixties design.

Old school fly rod 3.jpg

That Okuma rod, is a nice find for free too.

BTW, if you'd like to learn more about old school fly rods (with a sub forum, for other fiberglass rods too); check out this forum:

http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/

BTW, if you have any other friends that are giving rods away for free...can I please have their name and number?

Last edited:
If it has sliding rings on it, it is a spinning rod.
The tell-tale pic is from too far away to see that detail (reel seat, stripping guide, general guides) although the stripping guide looks large, like a spinning-type stripping guide.

On second glance, I think DD is correct. Can you show us some close up shots, of the stripping (first) guide; and other guides?

Still a great find, if you spin fish.