What does "assist" mean in the ODFW rules?

S
superfluous
Hey,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

My brother and I are taking our sons camping and maybe fishing. They are under 14 and have never been fishing, and my brother and I haven't been for many years and we don't have licenses. We will of course teach them how to cast, how to bait, and such before we go.

We don't plan to fish and would rather not have to buy licenses.

The ODFW website,says you need a license to "assist" another. It has the same verbiage in the ORS laws and no definition of what it means to "assist."

I can understand that casting for them, and helpng reel in if they can't, taking the rod when things get tough, is unquestionably "assistance" and we wouldn't do that.

What if we're just in the boat with them and don't do anything. Is that "assistance?"

Suppose we never touch their gear, maybe give verbal advice and that's it. Is that "assistance?"

What if all we do is hold the net if they pull one in. Is that "assistance?"

If we just bait hooks, is that "assistance?"

I did search and could not find this defined anywhere, at leat not in Oregon.

No I am not really cheaping out on a license, really, we're going camping and might not even fish if its raining, don't want to waste a bunch of money for nothing.

I talked about this with the Clackamas STEP biologist. It's a broad statement, and can be interpreted different ways. So an OSP officer may have a different idea than what follows. But baiting a hook is not assisting at all. Even casting out for a small child is not seen as assisting, or helping a small child reel in. It's pretty obvious when observing people what is standard helping out a child, and what is an adult trying to take advantage of not needing a license to fish.

If you bait the hook, cast out, reel in, and take the fish off as an adult with a capable 14 year old who's supposed to be "fishing" that would violate the law.

You'll be fine.

My advice:

1) Spend the 13 bucks for a day license.
2) Fish the _____ out of the lake.
3) Fall in love with fishing
4) Buy a annual license (wishing you had not wasted the 13.00 on a day license to begin with)
5) Fish for a month and accidently hook a Steelhead.
6) Buy a tag.
7) Land a game fish
8) Die Happy (at a time and place of your chosing)

Just skip to step 3, the rest willl fall in place.

-TM

You cannot do anything for the unless you have a license.. Nothing.. Merely drive them and observe. I have asked 2 oregon and 1 washington officers and they all answered exactly the same.

Just cover your behind and get a license or a day license. It sounds like too gray of an area to be in and they will tell you negligence is not an excuse. If you get a license you can just fish too

It would take real jerk to cite you for assisting a small child. Personally, I wouldn't buy the license if I wasn't planning on doing anything more than baiting and casting. Technically it might be against the law but would they write the ticket...? Hard to say.

Only one of you needs to buy a day license, the other needs to man the boat and have a net handy, or a camera. The sad part is, the kid gets hooked and then you have to go pay for another day license. Replay the song one more time and then you overspent for a simple annual license. Say you don't go on the boat, the rod is propped up by a twig on the bank while your son chases off a butterfly or walks away long enough for an officer to come by and ask to see your license. You might get off with a warning, maybe, but then fishing is over since your son decides to start throwing rocks only to scare all the fish away. Better to be safe and prepared for a new fun hobby.

If you wind up getting a ticket, for not having a license. Trust me; your day will be ruined by the HEFTY fine that you will have to pay! It's better just to buck up, and get a license man. Plus, what kind of an example does this set for your kids? $30 for a license, is cheap entertainment if you go out a least a few times.

Somehow I don't consider myself a bad example for taking my kids fishing and helping them with bait and casting having not purchased a license myself.

Call me crazy.

troutdude said:
If you wind up getting a ticket, for not having a license. Trust me; your day will be ruined by the HEFTY fine that you will have to pay! It's better just to buck up, and get a license man. Plus, what kind of an example does this set for your kids? $30 for a license, is cheap entertainment if you go out a least a few times.

jamisonace said:
Somehow I don't consider myself a bad example for taking my kids fishing and helping them with bait and casting having not purchased a license myself.

Call me crazy.
I completely agree with you 100%.. but if the verbage states you must have a license then if you choose to ignore it because you simply don't agree or feel like disregarding it then you are in fact a bad example. I received a ticket in British Columbia for holding a rifle during a hunting season without a license, while my friend and the guide field dressed a deer, it was for protection against bears.. my 10 year old son watched the whole humiliating episode, when I tried to make light of the rule and situation it only enraged the game officer.. and I looked like a criminal- good luck with your personal code of which rules you feel like following, its eventually gonna cost ya-

A good discussion and interpretation. Seems like this rule should better show intent. If you are taking kids fishing for the intent to take them fishing then it seems like this should be allowed by law. I realize some will cheat the system but overall you are potentially creating more customers. For instance my wife and I have bought licenses for the past several years so we can fish with our boys as a family. On a family vacation my dad wanted to help his grandsons fish but we had the same issue, he had no intent to fish any other time that year other than the hour we all went out and he wanted to help out with my sons so my wife didn't have to, so he could bond with his grandsons and so I could fish more. I think this should be better defined and I believe an adult should be able to assist a child without having a license.

I would think the younger the kid the more you can help. If they are in their teens I would only offer guidance. The wording is very vague, and open to interpretation. Meaning anyone on a power trip could easily write you a ticket, and leave you to work out with the courts if it was just or not.

I called a lawyer I know who specializes in Fishing and hunting tickets... so heres his professional advice, you may not assist in any way in the deployment or retreaval of the gear.. baiting driving a boat giving advice and even assisting in baiting is ok, you may also help play a fish by supporting a small child by say the arms, or body, as long as your hands do not touch the tool being used to retreave the fish.