Trout Fishing Help

A
aeleo
Looking to get my girlfriend on some trout, or just solid fishing in general. Have been going out using the usual Carolina rig with worms and powerbait and some lures at all sorts of reservoirs around the Rogue Valley finding steep drop offs and dams for shore fishing. Having trouble landing any fish at all, with me only landing 1 keeper size trout, and very, very dinky bass. We have fished Hyatt Lake, Howard Prairie Reservoir, Emigrant Lake, and even Little Hyatt lake with little to no success. Does anybody know of any really good trout fisheries in the area that I have not tried? Maybe other locations within an hour drive or so? Or specific spots at locations I have visited, but missed where fish stack up? Any other advice would be useful.

It looks like the problem is not in the water bodies that were fished, but in a buddy that fished them. )

What pole, reel, and line do you use?

At this time of the year, trout will dive down deep and hold there. Where the temperature is better for them and/or more oxygen is available. So going to the dams and casting into deep water (probably 60' deep or deeper), should find some trout. Or, as you mentioned, looking for deep / steep drop OFF's.

If you have some streams in your area, with flowing / aerated water and colder temps (under 62'ish or lower), you should visit them. For a better chance at trout that is.

Reactions: Admin
I will second @troutdude's suggestion for a creek this time of year. You have a lot of small creek's in your area that should still be cold and flowing well. Some of the upper stretches of the Rouge can be fantastic this time of year.

Reactions: troutdude and Admin
Go fish the main Umpqua for Small mouth bass from the Elkton area up to Tyee lots of public access from the bank. All typical type bass lures work some of the best and fun fishing that can be done.

Now that it is cooling the magic time of the year is upon us as troutdude said - cooler water will bring the fish shallower and they will be getting ready for winter also some start their spawn so that triggers egg eating and putting on weight

Reactions: troutdude
Back
Top Bottom