Tough day on the Willamette

bass
bass
Most Featured
I fished the Willamette for the first time in a long time on Saturday the 28th. I was expecting a typical 40 to 60 fish day with a handful of decent sized fish mixed in. That was about as far from what I actually accomplished as possible. I fished all day long for only 13 small bass (biggest was only an embarrassing 12.75"). I am just not sure where they were. Most of the fish I did catch came out of 10-20' of water but I did fish deeper and shallower.

The only things I did not do was fish the weedbeds and beat the bank. I am not sure if all the coho running up the river have pushed the bass off their normal haunts, if I was just not doing the right thing or if they were there and just not feeding. I usually mark quite a fish around the 15-20' rockpiles but I was not seeing much at all last Saturday. I am still pretty perplexed as to where the fish were hiding.

Maybe there is something to that catching one on the first cast being bad luck :) I was pretty stoked to catch a little largemouth on my first cast of the day. It sucked under my stick bait pretty quietly (not super aggressive). I only had one other bite on topwater. Caught one on a jerkbait and the rest were on a drop shot or Ned rig. Overall it was one of my most disappointing days of fishing in a really long time.

Oh well, I will just have to try hard again next time and hope that the fish make it up to me after realizing how rude they were being on this last trip :)

Here is a short video with some short fish.

Reactions: Admin
Back
Top Bottom