Single Hooks

Jkeck1024
Jkeck1024
Howdy folks, would love to get everyone’s opinion here regarding fishing with single hooks. I was raised on Panther Martins and have only ever known a treble hook when it comes to spinners. However, we’re all a bit too familiar with how snag-tastic a treble hook is. I’ve watched several videos lately, including one from Addicted Fishing, and am enticed by how much smoother a single hook is in the water, not to mention being able to remove the hook easily and get the fish back in the water quicker. I’ve fished single barbless in special regulation waters in NM and CO and in doing so, I just grab my dad’s pliers and get to clipping the treble hook (keep in mind, these are pretty small lures - think 1s, 2s, and a 4 here or there).

So my question is, would yall recommend doing the same (using pliers to clip) for let’s say a Blue Fox 4 or larger, or am I treading into territory at that point where I need to actually remove the treble and replace with a single hook? Clipping is obviously the easier route that requires less equipment but I wasn’t sure if that had any effect on the lure performance, given the larger size.

Appreciate yalls insight!

I fish 3/8 to 5/8 oz spinners and regular size Brad's Wigglers for coho salmon in the Siuslaw and coho lakes every fall, I had used wide gap trebles for many years with good success, occasionally lost one near the kayak. 2 years ago, I experimented going to single large sharp hooks (Gamakatsu or Owner, 2-0 or 3-0) and I have not gone back, all I use now on the spinners and plugs are singles. "I hook a coho, I land the coho." I also pick up less weeds.

I cut off the trebles and add a split ring.

Reactions: bass, Jkeck1024, troutdude and 2 others
rogerdodger said:
I fish 3/8 to 5/8 oz spinners and regular size Brad's Wigglers for coho salmon in the Siuslaw and coho lakes every fall, I had used wide gap trebles for many years with good success, occasionally lost one near the kayak. 2 years ago, I experimented going to single large sharp hooks (Gamakatsu or Owner, 2-0 or 3-0) and I have not gone back, all I use now on the spinners and plugs are singles. "I hook a coho, I land the coho." I also pick up less weeds.

I cut off the trebles and add a split ring.
^^ I do like rogerdoger on all spinners and spoons.

Reactions: Jkeck1024 and troutdude
Thanks for the tips!

These are a pretty decent spinner hook and the eye is opened so you can add them with a pair of pliers without much hassle

• Screenshot_20240729-134434_Chrome.jpg
Reactions: Casting Call and Markk
Back
Top Bottom