Sea Run Trout Questions

P
PKiii
Hi everyone, new member. I have been researching the Nestucca and I am thinking of heading that way this weekend. Do you think I will have luck above blaine right now for sea runs? Too early? I have never fished for sea runs and I want to get one on my resume. Spinners work ok? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

PKiii said:
Hi everyone, new member. I have been researching the Nestucca and I am thinking of heading that way this weekend. Do you think I will have luck above blaine right now for sea runs? Too early? I have never fished for sea runs and I want to get one on my resume. Spinners work ok? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
I know sea run trout normally dont run up far about only 10 miles but rarely sometimes they can go up to 70 miles so i think you would have a good chance catching one there. I would reccomend using trout routes to find data on the river and different spots to fish.

S3AN said:
I know sea run trout normally dont run up far about only 10 miles but rarely sometimes they can go up to 70 miles so i think you would have a good chance catching one there. I would reccomend using trout routes to find data on the river and different spots to fish.
I was on the Nestuc 2 weeks ago and (above blaine) and was disappointed. However There Is a New Cafe above Bible Creek! Highly recommend! A little early for SRs yet. Sone Odd Wx up there: Heat+Humidity!! Good Luck!

Reactions: S3AN and Admin
I believe it depends on the river conditions how far SRC will go. The faster the gradient the farther up the river you will find SRC. Think about it! the Tucca is to slow. Try the Kelish Park. Says Tony

PK: I think you will find SRCs can travel as far as conditions prrmit! Dont underestimate their determination!😉 ODFW is awell Meaning but Short of personnel and $$! So WE have to do ourPart!

I usually fish for them in tidewater from my kayak in June and July. I would guess they are not migrating upstream yet. Who knows? I may try tidewater once more and see. I assume the chunky cutthroat you catch while winter steelhead fishing are searuns.

Get yourself some Borden Specials. If you don't know where check with Mitch at Two Rivers Fly Shop in downtown Albany. They are LEGENDARY for Bluebacks / SRC's. (see pic below)

Also try small brown Rooster Tails with brass blades--which mimic crawdad fry that they love to munch--or hot pink Rooster Tails.

1723480356789.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: S3AN and Admin
So, I went to my "go-to" SRC spot today where I expect to catch double digits when I go in June and July. What I found was a lot of algae that fouled my lures and many salmon smolts that are not present in June. I fished hard for five hours and caught a single SRC, 14". I was using barbless hooks and could usually shake the smolts off easily. I suspect yhe SRC's have largely vacated the tidewater now and I wouldn't recommend fishing tidewater now.

Reactions: troutdude and Admin
C_Run said:
So, I went to my "go-to" SRC spot today where I expect to catch double digits when I go in June and July. What I found was a lot of algae that fouled my lures and many salmon smolts that are not present in June. I fished hard for five hours and caught a single SRC, 14". I was using barbless hooks and could usually shake the smolts off easily. I suspect yhe SRC's have largely vacated the tidewater now and I wouldn't recommend fishing tidewater now.
Been really hot recently causing alit of unwanted algae growth including blue green algae which is very dangerous.

Reactions: troutdude
S3AN said:
Been really hot recently causing alit of unwanted algae growth including blue green algae which is very dangerous.
Yep; for critters and people

Reactions: S3AN
troutdude said:
Yep; for critters and people
Dog died recently drinking the water on colombia in 30 or 20 minutes he was vomiting and stuff from the algae.

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude and C_Run
The algae I was talking about was chunks of green seaweed swirling in the tidal current. It was a problem the entire trip. It is not too bad earlier in the season.

Reactions: troutdude and S3AN
C_Run said:
The algae I was talking about was chunks of green seaweed swirling in the tidal current. It was a problem the entire trip. It is not too bad earlier in the season.
Well, I remember kataking the L. nestucca 25 yrs ago and ran into some horrific extensive brown Algae below 101!! More Agriculture and people cause problems! Especially in Oregon!!

S3AN said:
Dog died recently drinking the water on colombia in 30 or 20 minutes he was vomiting and stuff from the algae.
Yo why trout dude reply with haha nah thats crazy work💀

Back
Top Bottom