Reg question

jamisonace
jamisonace
Most Featured
Fall salmon on the Umpqua is 1 a day 5 a year for wild fish.

When I get a wild fish I figure I'm done and go home.

Fishing next to a nice guy this morning and he got one. As he's bleeding it he says he's half way to his limit. I told him it's a 1 fish limit. He didn't realize that and said he would keep fishing for a hatchery fish.

I told him I didn't think that was right but I also told him I didn't know for sure.

He took my word for it and left.

What do you think? Keep fishing or go home?

1 and done!

Reactions: jamisonace
I think this is a regs versus ethics question based on location.

NW and SW zone, all waters open for chinook salmon or steelhead, are also open for hatchery steelhead, hatchery coho, pink, and sockeye as part of your 2 fish (salmon/steelhead) daily limit.

retaining your sub-bag limit of 1 wild chinook per day does not require you to stop fishing for salmon/steelhead but the ethics question is whether you are fishing waters that are likely to have hatchery chinook, hatchery steelhead, or hatchery coho, as those are your options to fill your 2 fish daily limit. if all you are likely to do is hook more wild chinook, the ethical thing to do is stop fishing for the day.

Reactions: troutdude and jamisonace
GaryP1958 said:
1 and done!
I agree. Leave and let someone else have a chance.

rogerdodger said:

NW and SW zone, all waters open for chinook salmon or steelhead, are also open for hatchery steelhead, hatchery coho, pink, and sockeye as part of your 2 fish (salmon/steelhead) daily limit.

retaining your sub-bag limit of 1 wild chinook per day does not require you to stop fishing for salmon/steelhead but the ethics question is whether you are fishing waters that are likely to have hatchery chinook, hatchery steelhead, or hatchery coho, as those are your options to fill your 2 fish daily limit. if all you are likely to do is hook more wild chinook, the ethical thing to do is stop fishing for the day.
I'm thinking it's about 1 in a 1000 chance a person would get a hatchery chinook on the Umpqua right now but when the coho are in I would understand a guy sticking around.

jamisonace said:
I'm thinking it's about 1 in a 1000 chance a person would get a hatchery chinook on the Umpqua right now but when the coho are in I would understand a guy sticking around.
I think it totally depends where you are fishing.

"Since 1992, the Gardiner/Reedsport/Winchester Bay STEP has annually released nearly 200,000 Fall Chinook Salmon (Smolt) in Winchester Bay near the confluence of Winchester Creek. In three to five years these smolt return to Winchester Bay’s East Boat Basin as adult Chinook salmon. Because they acclimated in the bay these salmon have no predetermined spawning area to return to. They loiter in the lower bay creating a Terminal Fishery. Anglers catch these fish in the ocean offshore of Winchester Bay, in the bay itself, in the east boat basin and the lower Umpqua river."

https://umpquastephatchery.org/

FYI- Florence STEP has been trying hard to get a program like this going in the Siuslaw but it requires an update to the CMP and that takes time.

Last edited:
rogerdodger said:

Good lookin' out Roger; as always!

rogerdodger said:
I think it totally depends where you are fishing.

"Since 1992, the Gardiner/Reedsport/Winchester Bay STEP has annually released nearly 200,000 Fall Chinook Salmon (Smolt) in Winchester Bay near the confluence of Winchester Creek. In three to five years these smolt return to Winchester Bay’s East Boat Basin as adult Chinook salmon. Because they acclimated in the bay these salmon have no predetermined spawning area to return to. They loiter in the lower bay creating a Terminal Fishery. Anglers catch these fish in the ocean offshore of Winchester Bay, in the bay itself, in the east boat basin and the lower Umpqua river."

https://umpquastephatchery.org/

FYI- Florence STEP has been trying hard to get a program like this going in the Siuslaw but it requires an update to the CMP and that takes time.
A buddy got two of these hatchery fish one morning just off the Reedsport ramp. It's not unheard of to get a hatchery chinook in Roseburg.

Back
Top Bottom