Nothing gorge-ous about that wind....

bass
bass
Most Featured
There is a saying "There are liars, damn liars and statisticians". Well way below that are the folks predicting the wind :) I was really stoked to fish on the Sunday (the 1st) because the wind forecast looked good and had been looking good for several days. That is just the thing they do to lure you into the gorge and like a dumb monkey I can't resist that juicy banana and I fall right into their trap.

I got to the water around first light and was surprised that there was an East wind to start the day. Everything I had seen for days was indicating next to no wind until late in the afternoon. I was not too concerned since sometimes there is an East wind first thing in the morning that quickly dies off. Well, this one had a little bit of legs to it. It was not a fierce wind but even a 10mph East wind starts to create pretty good sized waves around Stevenson. So that is how the day started. Fishing in rolling East wind driven waves. The wind would die briefly before picking up and becoming greater than 20mph by the afternoon. Some of the gusts that hit me broadside definitely had me feeling that if I did not lean into them I was going to be tipping over. Just got kind of brutal.

Well enough of my whining, lets get to the fishing report. It was a tough day for me. I ended up only catching 14 bass while probably pedaling close to 10 miles during the day. My best fish were a few 2+lb fish and nothing was even close to scaring 3lbs. I can't report any lengths since I did not my measuring board over the side while untangling my spinning rod from my camera battery wire. I watched it gracefully sink to oblivion while I had both hands full and was turned around backwards in my kayak. Yes, quite a day :)

I started out throwing topwater and had a series of blowups that I missed before finally getting one to stick on the walking bait. I was almost relieved once they stopped biting that thing since I could put it down and stop missing fish. After that I headed East since I like to go in the direction of the wind. That way if things get worse the wind and waves are pushing me back to the ramp. I mostly focused on fishing rock in 10-25' of water since that had ended up being the ticket the previous week. There were fish to be caught but I had a hard time finding quality.

The wobblehead with Zoom speed craw was what I threw the most during the course of the day. When there are good sized waves it is the easiest deepwater bait to keep contact with. I did switch from a 1/4oz to 1/2oz part way through the morning and that helped a lot. I like the 1/4oz when I can get away with it but man that extra weight is really necessary on the days the wind is constantly spinning me around.

Eventually when I was on a spot about 1.5 miles East of the ramp the wind shifted around (pretty quickly) and started blowing out of the West. i decided at that point that I did not want to have another really long slog into the wind late in the day so I bailed on fishing East and headed back past the ramp and further West. Just to be spiteful as soon as I got past the ramp the wind just completely died. I think it was just trying to lure me back East but at least this time I was smart enough not to take the bait :)

I spend the rest of the day working further and further West. So many of the spots that normally hold at least some fish (and often a lot of fish) seemed barren. I struggled with controlling the the kayak in the wind and current and I don't think I was being as effective as I usually am. I think that was part of it but I also think the bite was just rather tough. For most of the day I was scratching out a fish here and a fish there on the wobblehead but eventually I did manage to catch some fish on a drop shot, including 3 on back-to-back-to-back casts. That was really shocking since most of the day was so incredibly slow. I thought I was finally going to really rack up some good numbers but just as quickly as it started the bite on that spot stopped.

I eventually worked myself about 2.5 miles West of the ramp. By then the wind was truly blasting. I still manged 3 or 4 bass on the wobblehead from that last area in those conditions. I was actually amazed I was able to catch anything sine most of my concentration was focused on staying upright in the wind. That area has a fair bit more current since the river narrows down there but even with the faster current the wind would blow me upstream at 2mph if I did not fight against it.

So, in the end I just looked at the day as being a heck of workout. It was fun pedaling back to the ramp at the end with the wind at my back. The wind was blowing waves upstream way faster than I could pedal and they would pick me up and jet me forware. I would watch my speed go from 3.5mph to 4.5mph each time it happened. Way better than pedaling into the teeth of that stuff!

Anyway here are a few pics and some video from the day. (The final annoyance was all the bouncing around disconnected my camera from the battery multiple times during the day so I ended up missing a handful of fish on video). Still, even with all the challenges I was thankful and happy that I could be out on the water!

My one spinnerbait fish!

Action shot, you can see the wobblehead hanging out of its mouth :)

Reactions: TerribleFisherman12, fromthelogo and Admin
Nice fish. I can’t wait to go kayak fishing for small mouth on the Columbia.

Reactions: bass and Admin
TerribleFisherman12 said:
Nice fish. I can’t wait to go kayak fishing for small mouth on the Columbia.

Definitely my favorite place to go. The Willamette is nice as well but the average fish size on the Columbia is just better and there is less boat traffic to contend with. More bass boats but very few pleasure boaters.

Back
Top Bottom