Need help with a Pflueger President XT

T
Tinker
All you Shimano folk I've been giving a hard time can chuckle now. Just disassembeld my Pflueger President XT - the wine-colored model - and when I put it back to gether, the rotor is too tight.

I've done this 10 or more times and it's always been a chore, but not a big deal. This time, something's different.

When I put the rotor back in place, all is fine. When I put the retaining nut on, it gets very hard to turn. Nut off (or loose), perfect. Nut snug (finger tight), it's bad.

All the parts went back in the right place and there were no parts left over. Everything was freshly lubed.

I'm a bit flummoxed about what I might have done differently this time, or what might be wrong.

Anyone with an idea? It's out of warranty, so suggestions on reel repar are also welcome.

Swear to God that if the Stradic weren't white, I'd consider one, bloated pricing and all. :)

Bloated Shimano pricing? I am guessing that you did not read the entire "El Presidente" manual, did you? See that Chinese text at the bottom of the last page? Pflueger does not provide translation but Bing does: "Rotor tension must be set using Pflueger microdrag inset tensioner (part no. PMT3X). Attempting manual adjustment by hand will result in damage, rendering existing shaft unusable".

Although the text is in Cantonese, the pricing below is in Mandarin:

Part no. PMT3X. $225. (Less shipping and import duties)
Replacement tensioner shaft $100 (currently out of stock)
Nut $16

So who has the chubby pricing now? Toss it, get some spray paint and move up to a quality Stradic.

18406ej said:
Bloated Shimano pricing? I am guessing that you did not read the entire "El Presidente" manual, did you? See that Chinese text at the bottom of the last page? Pflueger does not provide translation but Bing does: "Rotor tension must be set using Pflueger microdrag inset tensioner (part no. PMT3X). Attempting manual adjustment by hand will result in damage, rendering existing shaft unusable".

So who has the chubby pricing now? Toss it, get some spray paint and move up to a quality Stradic.

I need a Sticking-Out-My-Tongue emoticon! This'll have to do: :-P

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't that the same language I'm seeing at the bottom of the manual for my Symetre? Sure looks similar.

It's not the shaft tensioner, it's the pinion bushing. Small nylon sleeve-washer combination that keeps the rotor from making contact with the housing for the anti-reverse mechanism: 78-cents. Had to take apart another Pflueger to see it wasn't there. Don't know where it went. Fell into the Port Orford Vortex, I guess.

I've justified a Stradic by moving the Symetre to the Okuma SST and using a Stradic on the Lamiglas salmon rod. I even have a Stradic sitting in my shopping cart at Amazon.com right now, but I just can't manage to pull the trigger on a white reel... :D

Last edited:
OnTheFly said:
What part on this schematic are you referring to?

Hmm.. I don't see it on the diagram for the 6720. On a diagram for a 6740, it's the pinion bushing, diagram id 36, bushing, part number 1210765.

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/ed_PRESIDENT_6740pdf

Don't see the corresponding bushing for the 6720.

It's a nylon bushing-washer combination - has a "T" shape looking at it from the side. It slips on the main shaft just before you put the rotor back on, after you put on the clutch washer. It's a hard thing to misplace, but dammed if I didn't.[FONT=ËÎÌå-WinCharSetFFFF-H][FONT=ËÎÌå-WinCharSetFFFF-H]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Eamon, don't you have a Symetre and a Stradic? I think I remember that from an older post. I have a Symetre. I know the differences in the specs between the Stradic and Symetre. Can you tell me a bit about what's different when they're in use?

Last edited:
Maybe you through out the baby with the bath water! Check the solvent tray. Nylon is simi transparent and can give the appearance of it's surroundings. Just say'n! CC

Tinker,

You might ask Troutski about differences between the Stradic and the Symetre as his soft, smooth and feminine hands are far more sensitive than mine and he is most likely aware of the nuances. I really can't tell any difference between the two reels myself. In fact I only got the more expensive model as a second reel because I had birthday bux and I wanted to keep up with the elitist group of anglers that were on the forum when we began.

E

Casting Call said:
Maybe you through out the baby with the bath water! Check the solvent tray. Nylon is simi transparent and can give the appearance of it's surroundings. Just say'n! CC

That was the second place I looked, right after I ran to the mirror to look at a dumbass. I figured it was stuck in the rotar assembly and got jarred-out when I was wiping it, but it's not on/in the rag or on the floor. But thanks! If it turns up, it will be in the most unlikely place, next to all the left-footed socks I can't find...

18406ej said:
Tinker,

You might ask Troutski about differences between the Stradic and the Symetre as his soft, smooth and feminine hands are far more sensitive than mine and he is most likely aware of the nuances. I really can't tell any difference between the two reels myself. In fact I only got the more expensive model as a second reel because I had birthday bux and I wanted to keep up with the elitist group of anglers that were on the forum when we began.

I have the previous model of the Symtere before they started using the graphite frame, and I have issues trusting a graphite frame. But the new Symetre is still $70 cheaper than the Stradic... and they aren't white!

Probably won't ask Troutski unless he chimes in here. Whatever subtle differences he may feel probably can't be detected by my Neanderthal paws.

I really like these Pfluegers, and they've been good tools for me, but the engineering is way too much like a Swiss watch. Itty-bitty springs all over the place, right out in the open, making them mighty hard to service at home. Phooey! Eight to 14 days before the stupid thing ships, and five to ten days in transit!

You should get the saros then, its a chrome with blackish graphite. I have one n its sweet, not as sweet as my stradic ci4 tho...lol...n its not much of a difference either besides the price. saros $139, n the ci4 $229 both for the 3000 model.

steelie_killa said:
You should get the saros then, its a chrome with blackish graphite. I have one n its sweet, not as sweet as my stradic ci4 tho...lol...n its not much of a difference either besides the price. saros $139, n the ci4 $229 both for the 3000 model.

The Saros looks good on paper if it weren't for my carbon-phobia. Seems to have all the bells and whistles of a Stradic with none of the whiteness. The C14 isn't white, but it has a lot of graphite, doesn't it? No matter, I'm not ready to crack the $200 price barrier for a spinning reel.

How is the C14 holding up? I worry about banging a graphite frame and fracturing it - unless the graphite used in those reels is a lot tougher than the graphite used in rod blanks.

My ci4 is still in great shape...but i do take care of my rods n reel, i spent a lot of money on my gear so i want them to last....i dont abuse my gear by tossing them on the ground when landing fish, if i lose the fish big deal....basically if u want them to last longer ull have to take care of them...thats my thought

I've never tossed a rod to the ground, but I've been known to accidently let a rod drop when I got distracted by a fish. I like to take care of my gear, too, but I still have an occasional brain-fart and lose track of everything that's happening around me... One of the pleasures I get from fishing is that I get to mess with some really great gear.

Thanks for letting me know that the graphite reels are reasonably resilient.

Last edited:
Let's try this again! Look around the shoe laces,crack of the shoe soles and last but not least the cuff of your pants. I have found a lot parts that I though were lost to the port orford sink hole. Just say'n. CC

Casting Call said:
Let's try this again! Look around the shoe laces,crack of the shoe soles and last but not least the cuff of your pants. I have found a lot parts that I though were lost to the port orford sink hole. Just say'n. CC

I guess you're thinking that I wear clothes when I clean reels? Cleaning a Pflueger is a wiccan sabbat!

Pflueger is sending a replacement, free of charge. A spare could be handy, so I'll keep looking. I'm absolutely sure I'll find it the day after I scrap the reel.

Last edited:
Hijacking my own thread! New part or not, I'm pobably going to replace this reel. I'm not looking for manufacturer recommendations - but I know you can't contain yourselves, so go ahead with my blessings!

For salmon only, what size spinning reel would you suggest? 30/3000 or 40/4000 - or larger, still?