Montanan seeking advice on trout in western Oregon

B
BobMT
Former Montana resident that currently lives in Portland. The longer I am away from home the more I miss the trout fishing. Since living in Oregon I’ve only done a little bit of lake fishing, mainly up by Mt Hood. Honestly wasn’t crazy about it, mainly because of how many people are seemingly everywhere up there. Part of the joy for me is the quiet and solitude of fishing. I don’t mind being around the odd few people here or there, but anything crowded just isn’t for me.

Lately i’ve really been wanting to get some fly fishing in on the rivers in between Portland and the coast. I am not opposed to catching salmon and steelhead, but trout fishing is definitely what I know and love the most. Obviously we all love catching a hog, but at the end of the day I’m not upset with smaller fish as long as the dry fly is seeing action.

After doing a little research it seems like the Wilson, Trask, Necanicum, Nestucca, and Kilchis are likely some of my better options out near the coast? I plan of mainly using dry fly or dry droppers and just wading up stream.

I honestly love just parking somewhere random and exploring less busy stretches of water similar to what these guys did about 10 minutes into this video
I’d love to explore some of the waterways around the coast in a similar fashion when time permits.

I know central Oregon has some solid options, but I’m trying to find some areas a little closer to home first if I can. I’m open to any and all suggestions anyone would be willing to share and I appreciate all of the great info I’ve already found in older threads.

Last edited:
Because every waterway on the coast connects to the giant food supply called the Pacific Ocean, it's all about anadromous fish, that's how nature is. And much of the year, the rivers are full of smolt growing and heading for the ocean. Many rivers are closed part of the year to protect those smolt. Resident trout just not a thing & many rivers not well suited to them (too low/warm in the summer).

Your best bet is sea run cutthroats, read up on when they are going to be coming in and getting up into the river area you want to fish but it's just going to be a limited amount of time.

Reactions: Snopro
Hello and welcome BobMT! Yes, I imagine you have found general availability of good trout fishing a shocker! Theres Only about 3 million folks in the area! So fishing locations and timing are All important! Suggestions: 1. Have you thot about hike-in lakes? 2. The Wilamette river hosts some Very Nice adfluvial cutts that migrate up most feeder streams in Spring and Fall (water permitting). Once you understand fish migratory rythms here, your chances should improve! But its Certainly not Montana!

Davpot said:
Hello and welcome BobMT! Yes, I imagine you have found general availability of good trout fishing a shocker! Theres Only about 3 million folks in the area! So fishing locations and timing are All important! Suggestions: 1. Have you thot about hike-in lakes? 2. The Wilamette river hosts some Very Nice adfluvial cutts that migrate up most feeder streams in Spring and Fall (water permitting). Once you understand fish migratory rythms here, your chances should improve! But its Certainly not Montana!
I did hike into Gifford Lakes last summer. The fishing was ok, but I stuck with a spinner at the time. The mosquitos were unbearable though. I was shocked that after driving on a washboarded logging road for a while the parking area of the trailhead already had multiple vehicles. Something I’m still getting used to. But I would certainly try again. I loved hiking into lakes in Montana.

Ya I need to keep looking into streams around the Willamette as those will be the quickest access for me. But the coastal streams and potentially the area around Maupin are on my radar since the drive time is pretty similar. I understand the trout fishing on the Deschutes is the better option, but wouldn’t mind exploring around some coastal rivers for the scenery and seclusion.

BobMT said:
I did hike into Gifford Lakes last summer. The fishing was ok, but I stuck with a spinner at the time. The mosquitos were unbearable though. I was shocked that after driving on a washboarded logging road for a while the parking area of the trailhead already had multiple vehicles. Something I’m still getting used to. But I would certainly try again. I loved hiking into lakes in Montana.

Ya I need to keep looking into streams around the Willamette as those will be the quickest access for me. But the coastal streams and potentially the area around Maupin are on my radar since the drive time is pretty similar. I understand the trout fishing on the Deschutes is the better option, but wouldn’t mind exploring around some coastal rivers for the scenery and seclusion.
Hi BobMT! I just got through reading a Water Rights thread on OPB.org page: WOW! Water use and accessibility will Continue to be an issue across this country! If you see rivers fall and lakes recede over time, there are Multiple reasons.
So, as you observe these changes, the question is how and why. So Bob and All of us, keep an eye out!
In the meantime, we can all tread more lightly😇