lower Rogue in August ?

A
awkonradi
Hello All,

I am an experienced fisherman, but I am not an experienced steelhead fisherman. I do have experience casting spinners for Chinook from the bank of the Sacramento river in California. I am thinking about driving from San Francisco to Gold Beach in early August, and fishing the lower Rogue from the bank, perhaps all the way up to Foster Bar. I have a few questions.

1) Is fishing for steelhead in the lower Rogue in early August an OK plan? I don't need wide open fishing for monsters. But, I would like at least OK fishing for half-pounders.

2) Would focusing on casting spinners be sensible? Is a Blue Fox #4 about the right size? Should I plan for other techniques?

3) Any other advice?

Thank you!

Andrei W. Konradi

Reactions: beavis
I've done it twice and lost one and got skunked once. Look up "Rogue half-pounders". Hardware is a good way to go. My buddy who used to live there used small spoons, wobbble rite, with good results . I think they have to be clipped to retain any.

Reactions: troutdude and beavis
Thank you all! I will study the regulations carefully. I will get an OR non-resident fishing license.

Reactions: beavis
Check out the Rogue Outdoor Store for gear and advice.

Reactions: troutdude
If a steelhead (salmon or trout) has a full adipose fin--that hasn't been clipped OFF (removed)--I'm pretty sure that it must be carefully handled and immediately released. If that fin is intact it's a native/wild fish, which are protected by law.

1719849879372.jpeg

Reactions: C_Run
Thanks for the info. I will visit the Rogue Outdoor Store in Gold Beach. I will not remove any fish with intact adipose fins from the water.

• Love
Reactions: C_Run and troutdude
awkonradi said:
Thanks for the info. I will visit the Rogue Outdoor Store in Gold Beach. I will not remove any fish with intact adipose fins from the water.
Good luck, and tight lines. Let us know how you do.

Back
Top Bottom