Looking into first fly setup.

S
Silvers&Steelies
I have been thinking of getting into fly fishing for a while but my other fishing buddies have no interest in it so been going back and forth. I have been seeing fish munching on flys while I gear fish and they seem to not be interested in what I put in front of them so want to add flys to my arsenal. Also inherited an old 3wt that I have been practicing with but haven't hit water with it. After searching here and talking to the local tackle shop guy I go to he pointed me in the direction of an Echo solo kit.

I will primarily be targeting steelhead and want to try other species on a fly like Coho or Chum. Mostly bank fishing too in streams and rivers. I want to know if the Echo Solo 8wt or 6wt kit with an Ion reel would be best to start with or step up to the Ion 7wt rod with same reel. I have casted a solo in a parking lot but not the Ion. I'm probably going to order from Cabelas because I have gift cards and price isn't a big deal stepping up to an Ion setup. Also noticed they have Cabelas reels with Echo rods and hoping someone can chime in on those. I want something I will be happy with and hoping some of the experienced folks here can point me in a good direction.

Silvers&Steelies said:
I have been thinking of getting into fly fishing for a while but my other fishing buddies have no interest in it so been going back and forth. I have been seeing fish munching on flys while I gear fish and they seem to not be interested in what I put in front of them so want to add flys to my arsenal. Also inherited an old 3wt that I have been practicing with but haven't hit water with it. After searching here and talking to the local tackle shop guy I go to he pointed me in the direction of an Echo solo kit.

I will primarily be targeting steelhead and want to try other species on a fly like Coho or Chum. Mostly bank fishing too in streams and rivers. I want to know if the Echo Solo 8wt or 6wt kit with an Ion reel would be best to start with or step up to the Ion 7wt rod with same reel. I have casted a solo in a parking lot but not the Ion. I'm probably going to order from Cabelas because I have gift cards and price isn't a big deal stepping up to an Ion setup. Also noticed they have Cabelas reels with Echo rods and hoping someone can chime in on those. I want something I will be happy with and hoping some of the experienced folks here can point me in a good direction.

Here is my $0.02: Depending on where you live, get over to a fly shop and cast some rods and lines first. I would recommend River City Fly Shop personally. They are over here in Tigard and Don is a great guy for helping people out and hooking them up!

Get over to River city Fly Shop and talk to Don about first time setups.

The Echo Solo rig is a nice rig for starting out with but I would change out the reel for an Ion reel. If you want to step the rod up to the next level, you could go with the Ion rod. Sweet rods, good action/flex range.

Echo is a wonderful company and they make some pretty dang good products. They are located out of Vancouver and any chance I get to pitch them, I try. They received my loyalty when my first rod, and Echo Solo, snapped. It was my fault and I took it up to them. They didn't make the 3 piece model any more. I paid the $35 warranty fee and I got a new 4 piece model! I was blown away by their customer service. Just phenomenal!

As far as the rod wt goes, because you are targeting steelhead/coho/chum, I don't have much experience there. But I would think that you would want an 8wt, nothing lighter than a 7wt. And being your 1st fly rod, I would say 8wt. But I will let others chime in and give better input than I can offer for what you want to do with it.

But I honestly do feel that your first step is to get to a fly shop and cast cast cast. Try out different rods and different lines.

Good luck and take care! :D

-Spydey

P.S. i am not a big fan of the Cabela's reels. I think that the Ion reel is the way to go for a great reel and a fantastic price. I have 3 different ion reels: a 2/3wt and 2 7wt. Love them!!

Thanks Spydey. I never got time to make it over to River City but did get my first fly rod from Great American Tackle in Clackamas last week. The owner is a great guy and I always try to do business with him. He's big in fly fishing and set me up with a Temple Fork Outfitters 8wt and an Echo Ion reel and gear ready to fish and flies from his personal flybox he tied. Gave me a great deal and some pointers. Got out last Monday morning and even caught a small jack on the flyrod. Even though it was a small fish for the setup I'm hooked on fly fishing. Even started tying some wooly buggers close to my jig patterns that work and going to try tying other steelhead flies.

i was gonna say to go to him then read that thats what you did. Im looking into flyfishing too and a good friend from work that flyfishes recommended that tackleshop. mind i ask you how much you spent on the rod and reel?

jesse202505 said:
i was gonna say to go to him then read that thats what you did. Im looking into flyfishing too and a good friend from work that flyfishes recommended that tackleshop. mind i ask you how much you spent on the rod and reel?

I know you have got the rod already but this is really for the guy that's in your shoes and wants some advice. If a guy is trying to stay in that price point I would steer clear of tfo. I have owned a couple of tfo's and cast several others and they all seem to be very limited as far as there capabilities. Echo and Redington, in my opinion, is definitely the way to go for that price range. The Echo ion reel is one of the best values in the industry. If you wanted a small step up from Echo and Redington I would recommend St Croix rods paired with lamson or Ross reels. Scientific anglers lines for single handed steelheading is a good way to go for any rod. At the end of the day any rod will hook and land a steelhead but it sure is more enjoyable the higher end rod you buy. I'm blessed enough to fish Sage and Orvis switch and spey rods but I have been fishing for awhile and it took me lots of buying and selling to get those awesome rods. Go out and try lots of rods in your price range and have fun on the water whatever you choose.

I agree Sage is a fantastic rod. I have an 8wt specifically for steelhead and I love it. Well worth the initial sticker shock.

It's not Sage sticker shock, it's a full out price-point stroke! ;)

agentorange said:
I know you have got the rod already but this is really for the guy that's in your shoes and wants some advice. If a guy is trying to stay in that price point I would steer clear of tfo. I have owned a couple of tfo's and cast several others and they all seem to be very limited as far as there capabilities. Echo and Redington, in my opinion, is definitely the way to go for that price range. The Echo ion reel is one of the best values in the industry. If you wanted a small step up from Echo and Redington I would recommend St Croix rods paired with lamson or Ross reels. Scientific anglers lines for single handed steelheading is a good way to go for any rod. At the end of the day any rod will hook and land a steelhead but it sure is more enjoyable the higher end rod you buy. I'm blessed enough to fish Sage and Orvis switch and spey rods but I have been fishing for awhile and it took me lots of buying and selling to get those awesome rods. Go out and try lots of rods in your price range and have fun on the water whatever you choose.

+1