Looking for some technique help for my college bound grandson on the Umpqua system

P
PapaJ
New to the forum. I'm a fishing grandpa to a wonderful young man that starts school at Umpqua Community College next week and will be part of their wrestling and pole vault teams. He is new to the area and loves and respects the outdoors. He rally wants to learn to fish the Main, North, and South Umqua. He's fished a lot of Smallmouth around John Day, but wants to learn to fish Steelhead and Salmon. My wife and I have fished the PWN for pretty much all our lives and are really successful, but have never fished the Roseburg area. I did go down with him about a month ago for a couple of days to scout the area, and check out some locations others have suggested, but the water was low and it was pretty much between seasons from what I could determine. Not many people on the river to talk to or watch.
As he is going to be predominantly a bank maggot, unless I get the opportunity to drag the drift boat down there, if anyone would be kind enough to share expertise, I'd really be appreciative. I'm in the process of putting together a stash of tackle he might be able to use there, but my bank time was in the 80's and 90's, so don't know if the techniques I used then are even in vogue anymore. I put together both a Steelhead (12#) and Salmon (20#) level wind rods for him and will throw in a spinning rod for bobbering jigs for Steelhead, and he has his own Bass stuff. So I think he will be fine there. I'm just curious as to what I should throw in a tackle box for him. What I want to create is a 'home stash' of everything he might need and then another 'river bag' he would carry with him. I have boxes and boxes of drift gear, bobber and jigs, pencil lead, and a few spinners, but as I mentioned, basically 'old school'.
With Fall Chinook knocking on the door, I'm hoping to get away for a couple of days soon to help him with some 'hands on' river time.
If someone familiar with that fishery could help me with tackle and approach suggestions so I could help him become more knowledgeable and successful, that would definitely make my day. Thanks in advance for your time and any suggestions you might provide.
Have a Great Day! jc

Reactions: Admin
That is a tall order - but sounds like 'grandpa' has it covered ... The Umpqua has changed since I grew up there... They quit stocking trout mostly and the smallmouth were found in the South. Now days the South is the place to fish for 'hatchery' steelhead - and with the Rock Creek hatchery being burnt up not sure if there will be any stocking of smolt in the North. (Still fun to fish tho) Smallmouth are (as you know) fun fish and prolific and easily accessible from the bank. Like I said you have him stocked up with what he needs except patience to learn his 'special spots' - good luck on his journey......a fish of a thousand cast - for a reason

Reactions: PapaJ and Admin
Thanks so much for your reply. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, in late July we drove the Mainstem, much of the South, and the Northfork up into the fly area. Obviously, the water was lower than what he will experience in the fall, but we concentrated on structure we could see and where he would possibly find fish. We used the map at the fish ladders across the river from the college as well as suggested locations from others, and were blown away by many of the locations we discovered. I've stressed every time we've talked, that with the fall salmon run only weeks away, the best thing he could do is just spend time on the river and watch. I think hus roommate also fishes, so hopefully they will be able to share information. Once his classes start and he sees what his free time might be, my wife (a beast with a rod in her hand) and I hope to go down again and spend a day or two on the water with him to help him on his way.
Thanks again. jc

PapaJ said:
New to the forum. I'm a fishing grandpa to a wonderful young man that starts school at Umpqua Community College next week and will be part of their wrestling and pole vault teams. He is new to the area and loves and respects the outdoors. He rally wants to learn to fish the Main, North, and South Umqua. He's fished a lot of Smallmouth around John Day, but wants to learn to fish Steelhead and Salmon. My wife and I have fished the PWN for pretty much all our lives and are really successful, but have never fished the Roseburg area. I did go down with him about a month ago for a couple of days to scout the area, and check out some locations others have suggested, but the water was low and it was pretty much between seasons from what I could determine. Not many people on the river to talk to or watch.
As he is going to be predominantly a bank maggot, unless I get the opportunity to drag the drift boat down there, if anyone would be kind enough to share expertise, I'd really be appreciative. I'm in the process of putting together a stash of tackle he might be able to use there, but my bank time was in the 80's and 90's, so don't know if the techniques I used then are even in vogue anymore. I put together both a Steelhead (12#) and Salmon (20#) level wind rods for him and will throw in a spinning rod for bobbering jigs for Steelhead, and he has his own Bass stuff. So I think he will be fine there. I'm just curious as to what I should throw in a tackle box for him. What I want to create is a 'home stash' of everything he might need and then another 'river bag' he would carry with him. I have boxes and boxes of drift gear, bobber and jigs, pencil lead, and a few spinners, but as I mentioned, basically 'old school'.
With Fall Chinook knocking on the door, I'm hoping to get away for a couple of days soon to help him with some 'hands on' river time.
If someone familiar with that fishery could help me with tackle and approach suggestions so I could help him become more knowledgeable and successful, that would definitely make my day. Thanks in advance for your time and any suggestions you might provide.
Have a Great Day! jc
I know a few things about the Umpqua system. Feel free to reach out.

Reactions: PapaJ
Jamisonace,
Thanks so much for your offer of advice. Our grandson, Troy has been in Roseburg now for a week, but because of the start of school, wrestling practice and setting up his new apartment, we haven't heard from him yet as to if he's had the opportunity to get out and enjoy some time on the river. I loaded him up with three different level wind rods, plus the spinning gear of his own, and three huge boxes of gear that should last him the rest of his life :-). Mostly drift, spinners, and bobber and jigs. I know everywhere there now is about to explode with fall fish, so what I suggested he do initially was get out on the river in popular spots and just watch what people are doing to be successful. Also, to talk to as many people on the river as possible. His roommate grew up on the coast in Charleston, but only fished the ocean with his family, so they both have little to no river experience. I spent probably 25 years as a 'bank maggot' in my younger years, and my bank experience is extensive, but over 20 years old. That's why I'm reaching out to see if fishermen, like you, with knowledge of the Umpqua system, will help us with current technique/approaches that might help Troy be successful.
He's a pretty good Bass fisherman, but Salmon and Steelhead are foreign to him. Hopefully, not for long though. Any information, suggestions, or knowledge you would be so kind to share either here or by PM would really be appreciated. I will look for your response and thank you again for your gracious offer of assistance.
Have a Great Day! PJ

Reactions: Admin