Law against blocking a ramp?

troutdude
troutdude
I've been wondering about something for a while now. Time and again, I have seen people block boat ramps by parking on the ramps/landings. The ramps--while unimproved in these cases--are obviously built for launching water craft.

So, is there a law against parking where a car blocks the ramp so it cannot be used by water craft users? If so, is there a number to call to report obvious violations?

Not sure but if you take out the valve stems then temporarily the vehicle becomes an artistic statement or just scrap metal...if you could get one of those huge inflatable life rafts then you could turn that vehicle into your personal flotation device. If you could manage to fix something on the exhaust then you could have a nice trolling motor while it was in idle...

TD-

I can't think of any State statute (ORS 800 Chapters) that would cover this, as these parking laws apply to highways (roads) or Winter Parking Zones only, not to parks.

Most counties have ordinances against prohibited parking within parks (Linn County Parks Rules 610.600 (H)(1)) that can be enforced by Park personnel or by Sheriff's Deputies.

When I was working in a municipality we had city codes that applied to city parks that would cover these violations. I tried looking at the Oregon State Parks Rules and Regulations but I couldn't find anything at all there.

Your best bet would be to contact the Sheriff's Office (non-emergency dispatch) in the county that you are in, or if you are within city limits contact the police department.

Hope this helps,

EJ

Ask them to move.

The only thing I have seen thats related to parking on boat ramps refers to severly handicaped individuals. I saw a sign posted where they could leave there vehicle to one side of a double sided boat ramp while they were out on the water. I can't remember which lake I saw that at.

RunWithSasquatch said:
Ask them to move.

Bingo! Our boat ramps in town on the Mckenzie and Willamette get packed with people on a hot day. I don't blame em, we live several blocks from the river and we use those boat ramps to swim at too. 90% of the people see the truck and trailer come down and they're heading to move their car before you even have to ask em. The other 10% are just a bit more thick headed and unaware of their surounding so they need a little guidence to get me to move thier car.

Last edited:
chrisohm said:
Not sure but if you take out the valve stems then temporarily the vehicle becomes an artistic statement or just scrap metal...if you could get one of those huge inflatable life rafts then you could turn that vehicle into your personal flotation device. If you could manage to fix something on the exhaust then you could have a nice trolling motor while it was in idle...

Great reply! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately, most of the times that I've seen this happen...the "perps" are within a short distance. So while tempted to put those suggestions into play...I'd prefer to not get shot doing them. :confused:

RunWithSasquatch said:
Ask them to move.

Sometimes that works. Sometimes the perps don't give a crap, and don't move their rigs.

This hasn't happened directly to me, btw, as I can usually find other spots for tube entry/exit. But, I have seen this behavior happen towards boaters who want to use the ramp. Again, sometimes they won't move (i.e. they want to fish right in front of the ramp...but, aren't courteous enough to park away from the ramp [i.e. LAZY]).

18406ej said:
Your best bet would be to contact the Sheriff's Office (non-emergency dispatch) in the county that you are in, or if you are within city limits contact the police department.

Hope this helps,

EJ

A great idea. Keeps me out of the picture; but would ultimately get the job done (assuming that officers can/will respond). Thanks Eamon.

I had this problem at my local ramp. People would park as close to the water as possible, then go for a walk. Even with an empty parking lot, they would leave very little room to use the ramp. I sent an email to the city(county, state etc) with an aerial screen shot of how the cars were parking. The next week, there were about 10 no parking signs around the boat ramp and I haven’t had that problem since! It may not fit perfectly with your case, but its an idea.