I've been really wanting to go fish Stripers

plumbertom
plumbertom
For some time, I've been contemplating driving down from Eugene to Smith River some evening to fish overnight from the shore for striped bass.
At the moment, I'm thinking of trying to be in position Monday overnight for the 1:30 AM tide change and the outgoing tide.
My choice of baits is usually sardines, which I believe would be adequate. Advice for more productive bait would help.
But I'm unfamiliar with the area.
I've read about people fishing what's called "the guard rail", which I take to mean the place along the river where Lower Smith River Rd runs along the curve just a couple miles up from 101.
I've viewed the area with Google satellite maps.
My hesitation is caused by not knowing what the actual shoreline is like.
I assume it is a rip rap embankment, but I'm wondering how big a drop it is, how steep, and difficult it might be to navigate.
I'm 72, and I do not have very good balance.
Any suggestions for other areas that may be more suitable to someone with such agility problems would be appreciated.
Also, if that's the best available spot, how wide is the shoulder along the rail? Is it wide enough to park a full size PU and still clear the traffic lane?

From what I can remember, there is a decent size sand area. Not to steep I think the parking is O K

Reactions: plumbertom and Admin
I'll keep that in mind for the next likely opportunity.
I chose to forgo last night because of a lack of certainty about access.
If I weren't having to go alone, I might be more confident, but a fall on the rocks while alone could prove disastrous to someone of my age.

Reactions: beavis
I know the feeling!

Reactions: plumbertom
Back
Top Bottom