Indicator question

W
wozniasm
They all seem to use indicators on their fly rods here.
Asked a few guys why and got the same answer: "Well everybody does 'cause you can see a light hit".
Granted that's true but it seems like the are obsessed about it.

My question is, I still have my intermediate sinking line on and pretty sure an indicator wouldn't work unless I switched out to floating line.
Thoughts?!

Also, I've seen these guys have various versions that they paid good money for but I can use a small balloon and get the same effects!

I use one sometimes on my sinking line and I notice as soon as my fly gets wedged in a rock or snagged. Haven't got any hits using one but I can see how it will help notice light takes. I've seen steelhead take jigs under a float and spit it out without moving the float at all.

I figured that the intermediate sinking line would just pull it under out of site and you wouldn't see it if you did get a hit.

Use floating line and place the indicator somewhere on the leader. This will depend on water depth. What types of indicators do they use over there? Yarn? Thingamabobbers? Corkies and a toothpick? Big bushy dry flies?

it would be ok if the indicator sank a little, you would still be able to see the strike. But if you don't like using an indicator I certainly wouldn't change just to fit in, are they using them on ugly sticks? :D

OnTheFly said:
Use floating line and place the indicator somewhere on the leader. This will depend on water depth. What types of indicators do they use over there? Yarn? Thingamabobbers? Corkies and a toothpick? Big bushy dry flies?

Some Thingamabobbers but mostly Corkies and a toothpick.

halibuthitman said:
it would be ok if the indicator sank a little, you would still be able to see the strike. But if you don't like using an indicator I certainly wouldn't change just to fit in, are they using them on ugly sticks? :D

Not on ugly sticks - 4 and 5 wieghts.
Not going to follow the crowd for those. I have no problem catching here but will try it out to see if it extends my catch rate.
I hate the term out here calling them trout parks. Yes, they congregate there but I have had most of my catching in areas away from the crowds.

Lmao @trout parks.

I use an indicator with my floating line on my leader when nymphing since I can't usually feel anything with that line. Typically it's a thingamobobber but sometimes a giant dry fly.

I find I can cast the yarn style indicators easier. A thingamabobber on a ugly stick sounds sooo wrong.

TimberTodd said:
I find I can cast the yarn style indicators easier. A thingamabobber on a ugly stick sounds sooo wrong.
Know what you mean. Don't consider that fly fishing anymore... You're bobber fishin'!

TimberTodd said:
Thanks for posting that Jim. That's the yarn style indicator I use. I'm going to buy some Kevlar thread and tie my own now.
Yeah no problem. Use the most buoyant material available and saturate it with floatant. The smaller you can make it without drowning it the better you can cast it.

I use mostly corkies and sometimes small thingamabobs. I have been wanted to try out the yarn style.

Also just started using a sinking line at times.

OnTheFly said:
Yeah no problem. Use the most buoyant material available and saturate it with floatant. The smaller you can make it without drowning it the better you can cast it.

I have some of those Jim but wasn't too impressed (once saturated, they sink) with them but never added "floatant" to them since I didn't know it existed for this type of application. Where would you find it?

You should be able to find liquid floatant where you shop for flies etc. I find it works best to put it on the indicator before it gets wet.

TimberTodd said:
You should be able to find liquid floatant where you shop for flies etc. I find it works best to put it on the indicator before it gets wet.
Must have had a senior moment!
I looked it up and that's the same stuff I put on my dries. Never thought to put it on an indicator!

wozniasm said:
Must have had a senior moment!
I looked it up and that's the same stuff I put on my dries. Never thought to put it on an indicator!
FishFinger suggested using Scotchguard.

OnTheFly said:
FishFinger suggested using Scotchguard.

Seriously?!