How to ease carrying of gear when shore fishing

L
lizardman
I got tired of trying to carry a tackle box, rods, and other tackle as I didn't have enough hands to carry what I like to take with me (yes I know I could cut down, but sometimes you try with bait and end up switching to jigs/lures, and where is that lunch going to go anyway?) so I had an idea and it worked.

I picked up a 100 quart cooler with wheels, load it with the fishing vest, tackle box, bait, drinking water, jacket, lunch, and anything else I think I might need. When going to the fishing hole I have one hand pulling the cooler and the other with two rods (always carry a spare after seeing other people break rods and end their day fishing abruptly).

When I get fish I put them on a stringer until I am ready to go back to the truck, and then I just throw fish stringer and all in the cooler and wheel it to the truck.

When I get home I unload the cooler and rinse it out, and rinse the tackle box if need be.

Easy cleanup, and easy way to get all the gear to the fising hole.

Dave

cool idea plus it doubles as a seat if need be

yeah and it is sturdy enough for my fat butt to sit on.

Dave

Good for flat spots, the spots I like to hike into you'd have a miserable time trying to take a cooler with you.

osmosis said:
Good for flat spots, the spots I like to hike into you'd have a miserable time trying to take a cooler with you.

Hey Osmosis, I am in Eastern Oregon, it is all flat.... well there are some places I have to walk down a steep trail to get to the flat shoreline to fish :D

I park in the fish hatchery parking lot grab the cooler and two rods and walk down a gravel path to the Columbia river, or if I am feeling ambitious and the Umatilla river is higher or has better numbers I hike down a steep bank and hike in a mile to fish next to a waterfall. The cooler floats across the river making it easier to pull behind.

I think I'd sacrifice the cooler with it's own funeral pyre a couple miles into the places I hike :D

I like your cooler idea lizardman, why not just roll your gear with you at an accessible location? I know it won't work on some stretches of rivers on the West side but sounds perfect for your application.

Nice,

N
lizardman said:
Hey Osmosis, I am in Eastern Oregon, it is all flat.... well there are some places I have to walk down a steep trail to get to the flat shoreline to fish :D

I park in the fish hatchery parking lot grab the cooler and two rods and walk down a gravel path to the Columbia river, or if I am feeling ambitious and the Umatilla river is higher or has better numbers I hike down a steep bank and hike in a mile to fish next to a waterfall. The cooler floats across the river making it easier to pull behind.