How does rain effect the bite?

H
handmethewrench
Rookie question: Which species are effected the most by rain? I'm wondering about current rain and post rain.

HMTW,

Welcome to OFF, where we don't know what a "rookie question" is.

Others will give you the expert answers that you need here shortly.

Apropos of nothing else, always feel free to check our Archives via the "Search" function (top right of page) if you (needlessly) feel that your question might be rookie-oriented, although as noted above we do not differentiate between "Rookie" and "expert".

EJ

Rain always makes me hungry...I'm not exactly sure what species I am though:think:

In my limited experiance, Rain turns the bite on for lots of species.

First OFF- When it rains it knocks food out of the sky (bugs) and OFF of trees and what not into the water. I've have some amazing days at Harriet in the summer after a good rain.

Second- When it rains the rivers rise, when the rivers rise, migratory fish can travel upstream with less obstructions. Therefore its logical to summize that because they are moving more they need more energy.

Ive noticed that when a low pressure sytem moves in after a few days of high pressure thats when it gets hot! Low pressure means changing weather which usually includes rain.

Probably the most improtant reason the fishing is better in the rain is, Only the die hards stand in 36 degree down pour day after day just for the chance to get broken OFF. Those are the people I want to fish with, and thats when I remember catching the bigguns. I LOVE THE RAIN.

Thanks Oregon,
TM

Last edited:
Reactions: Admin
rad info! thanks!
yep, a buddy and I spent 12 hours recently plunking the Multnomah chanel in the rain/hail because there was A CHANCE of a springer bite.
Last year I found a spot under a tree at a small pond during a huge downpour, I set up a bobber rig and watched it through a tiny space between the branches.

There's a bunch of anecdotal evidence that low barometric pressures will affect a fish's swim bladder and can bring them out of their hiding and holding patterns. So they may as well eat...