Good documentary on the effects of salmon farms

jamisonace
jamisonace
Most Featured
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/salmon-confidential/

It's over an hour but take the time at some point to watch it. At the very least this should provide a good debate.

There is no doubt our salmon runs are declining. We've demolished 96% of the Columbia River run with dams. People want to blame the hatcheries by providing only speculation and no evidence. This documentary shows compelling evidence that farms are to blame for the last decade of declines.

I opened up a fish off the Siletz this fall and immediately threw the entire fish in the compost due to the legions, boils and sores I saw on the inside. Makes me wonder if our fish are being effected too.

I will never eat another farmed fish.

Very cool. Good documentary. Posted it onto my facebook page. Hopefully the word will get out there.

-Spydey

Not a challenge, but a question out of ignorance. Do we have the big feeding pens or fish farms that were highlighted in the documentary? I've only seen the hatchery on the Elk River, and those fish are in "tanks" (for lack of a better word), and I don't yet know what happens on the larger rivers.

It seemed that the commercial farms and the huge hatchery feeding pens in BC were the source of most of the diseases.

Man, I need to learn more...

We don't have those pens but we also don't know where our salmon travel for the time they are in the ocean.

Good point about hatchery fish being in tanks. I thought about that as well but until someone shows ISA in our hatchery tanks there is still no evidence (that I've heard) of hatcheries causing these problems.

Tinker said:
Not a challenge, but a question out of ignorance. Do we have the big feeding pens or fish farms that were highlighted in the documentary? I've only seen the hatchery on the Elk River, and those fish are in "tanks" (for lack of a better word), and I don't yet know what happens on the larger rivers.

It seemed that the commercial farms and the huge hatchery feeding pens in BC were the source of most of the diseases.

Man, I need to learn more...

Nice video Jamie. One of the best posts on here!

I will be sure to spread this.

Back
Top Bottom