Found out boat mechanic didn't know jack about trolling motors!

S
Senkosam
He's good with gas engines and installing parts, but he didn't have a clue when it came to fixing the problem of a stiff foot control for turning my trolling motor. The problem got so bad I left the lake early due to leg spasms trying to adjust prop direction.

So I called him to see if there was a fix or adjustment to make the foot pedal easier to depress toe/heel. He said the old Motor Guide probably had a cable issue and not repairable so I started pricing 55# thrust Minn Kotas - $650 s/h, taxes included! So I ordered one in the middle of the night expecting it in a week and longer for installation. No fishing for too long!!:censored:

But just for the H of it I figured I may as well try to see what was going on with the motor down, not in the water. I tried turning the motor by hand via the foot pedal - no go. But then I noticed that the shaft wasn't one piece. The bar below the clamp rotates/ the bar above is fixed and is part of height adjustment made with a rotating handle. I found out that loosening the lower clamp freed up the lower bar allowing the foot pedal to turn it easily.
IMG_5719.JPG

So much for ordering a new trolling motor + the cost of installation. I reattached the sonar transducer and I'm going fishing today.

(At least the truck starts after finding out something drained the battery overnight which happened a week ago. A buddy suggested it was time for a new truck, but after recharging to full charge overnight, my 2003 Silverado 4x4 started fine. Plus, it's easy to change oil + filter, air filter, spark plugs, etc.. I don't want to think what a new one costs! Course I just noticed I need four new tires and that ain't going to be cheap!)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Chromatose and SparkyofSoCal
Update. The battery tested bad. Got a new one and still not in the market for another truck.

Last edited: