Fishing around Newberg

B
bradleytc
My son has gotten into fishing, and I’m no expert, so we are doing a lot of fishing together as novice anglers. We are looking for good places around Newberg, aside from Haag Lake and Yamhill Locks. Any suggestions on Local fishing spots? Mainly bass and trout.

Also looking into when a good time to fish salmon is on the upper Willamette.

I lived in Newberg a while back and found it lacking in the fishing department. It been about 50 years ago that I lived there. The best fishing I found then was on The Nestucca River. It was a good steelhead river and there as plenty of access. The lower river and bay provided a good spot to fish for Chinook.

https://www.blm.gov/visit/nestucca-river-recreation-area

Great! Thanks for the info!

Yep; just like Irish Rover reported...not many fishing spots in/around Newberg. For trout...there is the Wilson River not too far away.

For bass, you could try the sloughs and ponds in/around Minto Island Park (along S. River Road in Salem).

Okay, thank you. There has been some spots that we checked out, but nothing worth noting… I appreciate the info!

Reactions: troutdude
I'm a fan of the Clackamas and Santiam drainages. Especially as we get later in the summer and river temps shoot up. Plenty of fishing for many many miles. Lots of easy access on public land. Good camping up there too but note that some areas are still closed due to fires a number of years back. I second the Wilson but sooner in the summer rather than later. Try a bunch of different water out; lakes, mountain rivers, small creeks, slow valley rivers, salt water and the like. Figure out what you like and go from there. Make sure you check the regulations especially if you want to keep fish. A lot of rivers are catch and release only.

SnailEye said:
I'm a fan of the Clackamas and Santiam drainages. Especially as we get later in the summer and river temps shoot up. Plenty of fishing for many many miles. Lots of easy access on public land. Good camping up there too but note that some areas are still closed due to fires a number of years back. I second the Wilson but sooner in the summer rather than later. Try a bunch of different water out; lakes, mountain rivers, small creeks, slow valley rivers, salt water and the like. Figure out what you like and go from there. Make sure you check the regulations especially if you want to keep fish. A lot of rivers are catch and release only.
Perfect, thanks!

If you are shorebound I would recommend George Roger's park in Lake Oswego at first light. Great shoreline smallmouth fishing. Good morning top water bite.

• Wow
Reactions: troutdude
To add to the above, if they won't eat a topwater throw a 3" swimbait (I like white) on a 1/4oz jighead, jerkbait or it is really slow try a Ned rig or a wacky rigged senko.

Also note that this part of the river is tidal and the fish bite best while the current is running so picking a day where the tide is running out at daybreak will give you the best chance. Incoming can also be good but it is a shorter window and less current since the tide is fighting the natural flow of the river.

This site will show you the tide prediction:

https://water.noaa.gov/?wfo=pqr&wfo...,0,1,1,1,1,1,1,#006EFF,1,#006EFF,1,#006EFF&q=

Right now it is about a 2.5 change in river level with the tide. Getting there just after high slack and fishing through the drop should be your best fishing.

Back
Top Bottom