Finally back on the water!

bass
bass
Most Featured
I had not been feeling great the last 6 weeks - kidney failure had been getting the better of me. I had several false starts over the last 6 weeks where I would load up the night before but then feel miserable when trying to get u, but p and go in the morning. Stinks to feel bad during the best part of the season but you have to play the hand you are dealt.

Well, I decided to try to give it a go again on Friday. I figured with taking an extra day off I would have plenty of time to recuperate if the fishing wore me out too much. I was torn on where to go since I know the Columbia is on fire this time of the year with big fish but the Willamette is a lot closer and less taxing to fish.

After going back and forth I decided to ease back into things and make a trip to the Willamette our of 10th street. It ended up being an OK but not great day. I caught 29 bass but they were mostly dinks. My best was only 2lbs and I struggled to catch fish over a pound. Still, overall it was better than sitting at home again :)

Water temp was ~58F and the fish that I caught were mostly in 6-12' of water. None of the fish I caught showed any signs of spawning (tails were all pristine). I am not sure if they have spawned and recovered or not spawned yet. I only saw fish chasing bait one time all day. Usually you see that a fair bit on the Willamette. I never did figure out where the bigger fish were holding but I know where they weren't :)

Probably my best lure was a jerkbait but I did not fish it that much since it is a lot of work and it was killing my shoulders. I probably caught the most on (and fished the most with) a 3" white swimbait. I also caught fish on a flat-side crankbait, spy bait, Ned rig, wobblehead jig and a drop shot.

Some of the bites were really hard and some were super soft. It seemed like the bites got softer as the day wore on. Overall I can't complain too much. I was able to get out and I really enjoyed just being out on the water in my kayak.

Here are a couple of pics from the day and a pretty boring video.

• Love
Reactions: troutdude, fromthelogo and Snopro
Glad you hear you were feeling well enough to get out. I got out for the first time yesterday. I launched out of Cedar Oak and fished for about an hour. I got 3 on a ned rig and a hula grub. All similar in size and condition to yours.

Reactions: bass
@fromthelogo how was the current below the falls? Did you have to deal with any sea lions?

No sea lions but the current as strong. Had to kick the trolling motor up a notch or two more than typical.

Current was pretty strong upriver as well. The river is definitely running hard this year.

Good to hear you are back at it and hope your health continues to get better!

Back
Top Bottom