Father's Day thread

troutdude
troutdude
Since Father's day, is just 'round the bend...thought it would be nice to hear from anyone, whose dad taught them how to fish. So, does anyone have a favorite "dad quote" that they would like to share?

It would also be cool to know; what specie your dad first helped you catch.

My quotes are:

"you won't catch any fish, if your line ain't in the water"

"never leave home without the worms"

My first specie: catfish, near Monroe, Oregon. (Being a kid, I dreamed the night before that they would look like "Felix the Cat". Boy was I ever surprised, early that next morning...LOL)

Happy Father's day dad.

It was my best friend's dad that put me on my first fish, stocker trout at N fork on the Clackamas. RIP Mike! One thing I will never forget is him taking those Fireball single fish eggs and sticking some between his lip and gum like chew! Whenever he needed to rebait he would pop one out of his mouth and stick it on the hook, I did not follow that lesson!
Unfortunately neither of my kids are interested in fishing at all so I will teach them anything else they are willing to learn.

My dad never fished a day in his life he hated the idea. However, when my brother and I were 8 and 7 we really wanted to go so he bought us each rod and reel (Heddon spincast, actually pretty nice) from the local hardware store and drove us to a lake. He bought some bait but did not even know how to tie on a hook. There was a guy there who gave us a bit of advice and we were fishing. My sister came with us and caught a catfish, but neither my brother or I caught anything. However, our passion for fishing was ignited. After that my dad would drop us off at the lake (1/2 hour drive) every weekend morning spring through fall and then pick us up in the evening. He did not teach me to fish, but he put in a lot of effort to make sure my brother and I got to go every week.

It wasn't my first fish but it was the first one I really remember when I was around 8 or 9 and hooked my first coho. All I can remember is my dad yelling

"Keep your rod tip up"!!!!!!!!

One memory I always have is fishin buoy 10 with grandpa, dad and my brother. We were around 10 years old, maybe younger, and never could stay entertained when the bite was slow. Eventually we'd start to dose off and as soon as we were out dad would pull out a couple pulls of line against the drag so the clicker on the real would scream. We'd jump up in panic and dad would always blame us for snoozing and missing the fish... Now that dad is older he's the one dosing off and we can't help but do it to him.

I was 5 or 6 when my brother an I started buggin pa about fishin so one day he sat us down taught us to tie our own riggin and off fishing we went. He gave us our own little box and took us to the lake (detroit) from there he said " you know how to do it now get your lines wet an catch us dinner" from there our passion for fishing ignited. Thanks pa!!!