Ditch fish, this should provoke some thoughts

T
the_intimidator03
In my F&W class today we watched this video clip that I thought would be of interesting benefit to the folks here on OFF. Kind of interesting how things work and where fish end up.

interesting vid...thanks

This is actually common knowledge to the majority of farmers, at least in Washington County.

I grew up fishing the ditch/slough next to my parent's house for Cutt's and Carp that would come in to spawn every winter.

Cool video. Nice to see that fish including Chinook can utilize those grass seed fields in the winter.

Thanks,

So, doesn't this technically make those fish, pickles? ;)

I remember talking to an oldtimer back in the 80's who remembers using a pitch fork to get salmon out of a nearby creek for fertilizer when he was a kid growing up in western Washington County. He said they were so thick in the creeks and small streams that if they didn't get them out it would stink for months while they rotted in the creeks. :lol:

Oh how little we understand the havoc we have caused in nature!

I find it quite interesting the things we still learn today. Who knows what we will find out in the future. With this knowledge of "ditch fish" farmers can use better methods to enhance these "natural" waterways

Watched that episode on tv. Great little clip . I grew up in the area they were researching, what NOBODY realized is that the sucker fish/ chubs from Freeway lakes actually migrate up that stream through farmers fields and near Peterson's butte to spawn. We would catch fish out of mud puddles as a kid.

That's awesome. I knew that fish would populate flooded fields - and occasionally get trapped when the flood subsides. Lots of carp wind up becoming field fertilizer here in the Tualatin basin. My physics teacher in high school used to live along Dairy Creek, and he told us about pitch forking carp with his neighbors out of their fields.

I think one of the interesting notes mentioned (more studies would have to be made) is with the smolts being in there and how they became to be there. They figured that the currents would be too strong for them to swim UP to the fields.

They hinted at the fish possibly spawning in those fields didn't they? Crazy if that's what's happening - kind of proves that the fish and eggs can adapt - and instead of needing gravel, spawning can be successful in the unplowed dirt. Provides a ray of hope to recovery of the wild fish stocks.

they said it is possible. would kind of upset our thoughts on how they spawn right now. More research needs to be done on that tho.