Definition of "light to medium"

P
pinstriper
I often read phrases like "light tackle" or "medium", and even "light to medium tackle". Whether it's on a product description or some "how to fish for..." article. Unless one knows where the lines are, of course, such information is only confusing.

I realize the lines may be a little fuzzy, but I'm looking for a T-shirt sizing chart. Something that says "light, up to 12 pound test", "medium, 8 to 25", and "heavy, 20 or more".

Anyone ?

Interesting question, not sure I have the correct answer. 2-6 to me would be light 6-12 Medium 15 and up heavy.

Dana

….Yeah, for me it's always been the last couple of feet or terminal end that decides where light to medium tackle or any underwater attractor and hooks size begins. After that with the longest, lightest piece of tapered stick I can find without danger of breakage. Light enough for use with one hand, comfortably, for long amounts of time.

I would put light at 6 -medium 10- heavy - 20∆

Lamiglas nomenclature for Certified Pro Salmon and Steelhead Rods....

http://www.lamiglas.com/?page_id=271

I also have a "light" in this series and it is 6-10

Sometimes in article the "light tackle" generalization simply means, no fighting chair, no harness, no monster hand winch and no broomstick rod.

Last edited:
Thanks, all. My bitter half came home with a garage sale reel, a Zebco in original packaging so old the plastic was yellow. It says light/medium, loaded with 6 # which is probably best thrown away due to age. I think I will put some 10# on it and get a cheap rod from the discount barrel.

I guess my answer would depend on what you're fishing for, and where.

Fishing for sturgeon at Bonneville with 15# would be considered "ultralight." Fishing that same setup at a stocker pond would be considered extremely heavy.