Coastal salmon/steelhead: everything you ever wanted to know...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Most Featured
if you are looking info like this sort of info on Coastal Salmon/Steelhead:

general info on each species: page 10
life history: Table 1, page 13
wild spawners by decade: page 14
hatchery fish info: page 15-17
where do the fish end up dying: page 18 (hint: the vast majority die after spawning)

here is a big one: Populations and Basins: what rivers have what species: page 20
current status of all the coastal runs: page 26

and this info and much more is included in great detail in the "Coastal Multi-Species Conservation and Management Plan" that was adopted back in June, the answers to a great many questions on coastal salmon and steelhead runs in Oregon can be found right here:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/CRP/docs/coastal_multispecies/CMP_main_final.pdf

cheers, roger

Reactions: troutdude and Raincatcher
Good find!

Holy crap! Ive been looking for something like this!!!!!

Great info, thanks for sharing!

Great info, thanks!

Nice read thanks. i have always heard about mercer lake having a coho run do you think that run will ever gain enough strength to be fishable?

Great info though I found it depressing to be reminded that many of the hatchery stock that we as Oregon anglers help pay for get harvested in canada before they even have a chance to make it back.
I know the PST(pacific salmon treaty) is supposed to help mitigate that but all it takes is one or 2 years of poorly forecasted expected returns(so more get ocean harvested) to greatly lower the runs we actually see and have the opportunity to fish.

Socaaron said:
Great info though I found it depressing to be reminded that many of the hatchery stock that we as Oregon anglers help pay for get harvested in canada before they even have a chance to make it back.
I know the PST(pacific salmon treaty) is supposed to help mitigate that but all it takes is one or 2 years of poorly forecasted expected returns(so more get ocean harvested) to greatly lower the runs we actually see and have the opportunity to fish.

yeah, they did good in recent years cutting back on the commercial harvest OFF Vancouver Island but the improvements we have seen back at the spawning rivers could go away quick if they up that ocean catch...