Caught my first trout! Rock Creek in the NW zone!

TerribleFisherman12
TerribleFisherman12
I noticed the adipose fin is still present, was my first trout a native wild trout? Big thanks to this forum for the wisdom that helped me fish this area.

4A99568E-9E5C-49E7-AB7E-08A6D81C6080.jpeg

Reactions: OregonApe, bass and Admin
Beautiful fish.

Reactions: TerribleFisherman12
On the coast, NW & SW zones, they don't clip hatchery rainbows, no need in these zones. All hatchery steelhead and salmon smolt are clipped.

Also, double check the regs for the Rock creeks in NW zone, 2 are closed to fishing during part of the year, probably to protect steelhead smolt.

Last edited:
Reactions: troutdude
L
rogerdodger said:
On the coast, NW & SW zones, they don't clip hatchery rainbows, no need in these zones. All steelhead smolt are clipped.

Also, double check the regs for the Rock creeks in NW zone, 2 are closed to fishing during part of the year, probably to protect steelhead smolt.
hey man is there an easy way to tell which rock creek is which? It’s such a generic name it seems there are several rock creeks all in different parts of oregon

It's by county, 3 in the NW zone have exceptions: the one in Clatsop is way north, it closed as of today. The one in Lincoln county is open all year for trout under zone regs, open for steelhead part of the year and the one just north of Florence is in Lane county, closed to all fishing most of the year, just open Dec1 to March 31.

Last edited:
Reactions: Admin
Well, then I guess he was fishing the one in Lincoln. )

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude, SparkyofSoCal, rogerdodger and 1 other person
also, that looks like a cutthroat, you can tell for sure by running your finger over the tongue- coastal cutthroats have little teeth on their tongue.

rogerdodger said:
also, that looks like a cutthroat, you can tell for sure by running your finger over the tongue- coastal cutthroats have little teeth on their tongue.
I was thanking that also - lots of spots

@TerribleFisherman12 nicely done! Congrats!

If, btw, you were indeed fishing in the Rock Creek system (main stem, Big, or Little Rock Creeks)...there's a decent run of Bluebacks (sea run cutthroat). But most of them, by now, will be found just below the hatchery markers on Logsden road. The hatchery was closed down many years ago.

Sidebar: There's also a good run of silvers in that creek too. Which will kick into action when the rains come. Secret: hot pink Rooster Tails for those. ;-)

troutdude said:
@TerribleFisherman12 nicely done! Congrats!

If, btw, you were indeed fishing in the Rock Creek system (main stem, Big, or Little Rock Creeks)...there's a decent run of Bluebacks (sea run cutthroat). But most of them, by now, will be found just below the hatchery markers on Logsden road. The hatchery was closed down many years ago.

Sidebar: There's also a good run of silvers in that creek too. Which will kick into action when the rains come. Secret: hot pink Rooster Tails for those. ;-)
I caught this one on a blue fox hot pink in-line spinner. #2

TerribleFisherman12 said:
I caught this one on a blue fox hot pink in-line spinner. #2
Yes; I noticed that. Bluebacks also like small brown Rooster Tails too, with a brass blade. Because they mimic crawdad fry, which they gorge on in freshwater.

troutdude said:
Yes; I noticed that. Bluebacks also like small brown Rooster Tails too, with a brass blade. Because they mimic crawdad fry, which they gorge on in freshwater.
Thank you, i bet that brown would work great because I saw tons of crawfish when I could still see into the water

rogerdodger said:
White tips on fins indicates rainbow or hybrid.

Definitely not a rainbow, maybe a hybrid. i’ve caught tons of cutties on the McKenzie and I would say cutthroat

OregonApe said:
White tips on fins indicates rainbow or hybrid.
our Coastal Cutthroat can also have those white fin tips. all the spots make this look like a resident cutty, or perhaps just one that hasn't decided to visit the ocean yet.