Caught my first smallmouth! Columbia river slough outside Clatskanie.

TerribleFisherman12
TerribleFisherman12
9548306D-10FE-4BB1-9DD3-CB370B688FB5.jpeg

caught on a wacky rig. This was the only one I caught even though they were feeding like crazy, They were eating something on top of the water and didn’t really have any interest in the senko, anyone have any suggestions on a rig for when they are doing this? It was like they were taunting me.

Reactions: bass and Admin
Get yourself some floating Rapala's, they are good for top feeders.

Reactions: TerribleFisherman12 and Admin
3 or 4 inch. I like the blue and green, the lip size tells you how deep it will run. I used to kill them at Rock Isl. on the willy.

First off congratulations! Second, are you sure they were bass feeding on top like crazy or perhaps something else? If they were bass then tty to figure out what they were chasing and get a topwater that is about the right size. I like walking baits if the water is calm. If the bait is small something like a Zara spook puppy or rebel pop'R are hood choices.

bass said:
First off congratulations! Second, are you sure they were bass feeding on top like crazy or perhaps something else? If they were bass then tty to figure out what they were chasing and get a topwater that is about the right size. I like walking baits if the water is calm. If the bait is small something like a Zara spook puppy or rebel pop'R are hood choices.
I am not sure they were bass. What else could be in a Columbia slew hitting the top of the water like that?

Last edited:
Likely bass, but they could be smolt chasing bugs if they are still in the system.

Back
Top Bottom