Catfishin'

M
Mr. Camper
Since I'm new here I thought it would be best to ask the experts about the catfishin' opportunities in Oregon. I fish for all types but Blues and Flatheads are for fun only, Channels and Whites are for eating. No interest in bullheads. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not much of a cat man, but I'll ask, since everyone else is going to...

What part of Oregon are you moving to? It's an enormous state.

In the Portland area, you're probably not going to want to eat the cats too often. Too many pollutants, depending on the body of water. But there's cats in the Willamette and Columbia (aka The Big C, or The Creek).

But I think once you settle in to fishing here, you'll find bigger fish to fry, so to speak. Lots of different opportunity here, cats being way down the list for most.

Enjoy, Sir.

Oregon isn't much of a catfishing state. You'll find bullheads in a lot of the lakes and ponds. But for the bigger cats you'll have to fish either The Snake River, John Day River, Columbia and or the Willamette. You'll find some ponds that have Channel Cats but they are few and far between. Good luck!

What's a good replacement for cats in Oregon? My gear is all baitcasting, both round and low profile. Not sure exactly where we will wind up but more than likely between the Coastal and Cascade Ranges, although Bend is still on our list to give a good look at. I'm really not interested in flyfishing. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm all about getting the state record for flats! Flathead fishing was my favorite before moving here and I'm dying to hook another! Nothing like that clicker screaming and your heavy rod bent! Although very new to the area I've read the only place to get them is the snake river NE oregon borderish. I'm gonna find exact spots and take a treck out there next summer. Got a nice pop up trailer and hopefully a friend with a boat by then! I'm always down to chase channel cats too if you ever want to partner!