Calling out spey fisherman

W
wozniasm
Picked up my spey rod (14' Cabelas TLR 9Wt) and tried it out in the park. Still going to need a LOT of practice to shoot line.
Any suggestions on fly line for overall fishing? Of course considering weight forward to start but not sure if I should go with multi-tip.

You have just commited to spey! You don't want to over spend so just go ahead and get the multi-tip cuz ur gonna want to try sooner or later. The get the double tapered fly line. You may want to cut it in half some day. Tell you what! check ur pm CC ....Look at my profile before you do.

Reactions: wozniasm
Thanks for the PM CC!
I go by Steve or WOZ...

What are you going to be fishing for with a 9wt? Pretty heavy rod.

Hopefully steelies and salmon.

Reactions: JeannaJigs
For a long time I try and suffered through a long belly spey line.....wind cutter. It wasn't until I got rid of that stuff and went to a 540 grain skagit line that I was able to actually spend time fishing and not worry so much about the casting. The line I ended up with was the airflow weight forward. I now enjoy spey rod fishing instead of fighting that longbelly line. I have a great three set cd by rio on spey casting I'd be happy to spend it to you to view. It covers it all and has a good section on skagit lines. Just send me a pm.

Thanks IR! Got some great info from Tony as well.
I have a dvd of casting that I'll have to wipe the dust OFF of that I bought a while back but if that doesn't hack it, I'll take you up on the OFFer!

Get a skagit head or a scandi compact. Don't try a full line yet. Skagit lines are short heads that are pretty easy to cast. get ready to not touch a fish in a while. It takes a lot of work to get good at spey fishing, but its addictive. its like a crazy physics experiment.

so your setup would be backing, then a running line (either coated or monofilament), then your skagit head, then a 10ft floating or sinking tip, then a bit of tippet (2-6ft 10lb maxima) and a fly. if you can cast just the 25ft head, you can start fishing. if you can cast double the head, you are fishing even more water.

A lesson goes a long way.

A guided trip even longer.