Cabela's "Gold Medal Wading Boot" any thoughts?

A
azbohunter
These are on sale next weekend in the local Cabela's. Regular price 89.99, sale price 49.99 for 5 hours only.

I know these are not Korkers Cromes but I could buy 4 pair of these for the cost of 1 pair of them. And, I might wear them 20 days a year?
As some of you might have realized I am form Arizona and a newbie. I might have a total of 50 hours on Steelhead fishing under my belt but 5 fish, more than enough to get me hooked.
I will be spending around a month on the Deschutes in late August into September and am trying to get set up better than last year (shorts and Crocks).
Any opinions? And also on sole type? I am probably not in favor of felt because of invasive species things but do you wear spikes?
One last thing, I read this forum daily, I appreciate all the reports and sharing of knowledge. It makes me a little envious yet it was like 70 here today.

Last edited:
I view most Cabelas stuff as cheap and disposable. With little use they might be OK, but I wouldn't expect them to last. According to the site, they are made of similar materials to another boot I tried.

I bought these a year ago.

Within two months, a layer of the outsole delaminated and I had to screw the front, near the toes in several spots. Near the same time, the seams also started to rip near the toe box, the thicker, rubbery material over the toes and heels cracked and it all just proceeded to get worse. The metal studs work on cobbled stones, in mud and over moss, but on large, smooth, wet rock slabs act like ice skates, so be wary of that aspect. A year of use resulted in this:

• 2013-02-08_19-03-07_667.jpg
Reactions: Irishrover
Wow...a picture worth a thousand words! I saw something similar on one of the "customer reviews" but also saw some favorable reviews? Never know about those "customer review" posts as to how up front they are.
Thanks...

azbohunter said:
Wow...a picture worth a thousand words! I saw something similar on one of the "customer reviews" but also saw some favorable reviews? Never know about those "customer review" posts as to how up front they are.
Thanks...

Ha...probably my review. I saw a couple reviews with similar experience to me, so I added my anecdote to lend support for their durability claims.

I think the favorable reviews are coming from people that don't use them much or do little hiking over rocky terrain; for those that merely wade some and do little walking, the boots may be fine. My use is extensive and I clearly need to pony up more money for higher durability.

Last edited:
I say take those things back and get a new pair!Cabelas return policy is pretty good, especially on their footwear.Are those the ultralight wading boots?I have the ultralight 2s and they have held up pretty good, all though I do see what your saying about the outside layer of rubbery composite cracking and coming off on the toes and heels.

Taking in the fact that I might only wear them 20 times a season, does that change any opinions? I am 69 years of age (not old) so I don't see myself walking miles of rocky trails to get to a hole. Most of my fishing will be along the lower Deschutes.

I have a pair of those as well i bought on sale last year (ultralights). I've used them pretty consistantly since the summer and they have held up ok. The outside layer of rubber on the toes is starting to crack pretty good and some threads are fraying so i'm sure they won't last too much longer. I've used the hell out of them this winter, and i also do a lot of hiking. My pair before these was some cheap Redingtons my wife got me that lasted almost 10 years and are still in decent shape. Dont' make em like they used too.
Azbohunter i think i'd get a pair of those considering the price and that you won't use them a ton. I've heard the same thing about Simms stuff not lasting long that costs twice as much. I may even try a pair myself at that price.

hobster said:
Azbohunter i think i'd get a pair of those considering the price and that you won't use them a ton. I've heard the same thing about Simms stuff not lasting long that costs twice as much. I may even try a pair myself at that price.

I think that this sale price is for the local store in Glendale, AZ only. Not sure though. They are having a fly fishing seminar on Saturday,2/16 and I think they are having several items related to fly fishing on sale. Might check other stores?
Thanks for the input..much appreciated.

hobster said:
I have a pair of those as well i bought on sale last year (ultralights). I've used them pretty consistantly since the summer and they have held up ok. The outside layer of rubber on the toes is starting to crack pretty good and some threads are fraying so i'm sure they won't last too much longer. I've used the hell out of them this winter, and i also do a lot of hiking. My pair before these was some cheap Redingtons my wife got me that lasted almost 10 years and are still in decent shape. Dont' make em like they used too.

I've heard conflicting stories that either Simms waders/boots don't last any longer yet cost more, and/or that they're near bullet-proof and worth the money...who knows for sure?

Interesting review of experiences with Cabela’s Guidewear Pro, Ultralight 2 (the ones I have) and Simms Headwaters

His Ultralight experience was very similar to mine. To summarize the link:

Cabela’s Guidewear Pro, 75 trips in about a year, $100
IMG_4168.jpg

Ultralight 2, 6 trips in a couple months, $70 (pic is just like mine started and within the same time frame as the author)
IMG_6941.jpg

Simms Headwaters, 5 years old, but no mention of time/amount of use but given that the Guidewear were used the previous year, we can assume 4 years or less, $150
IMG_4170.jpg

So perhaps if the Cabela's boots in question hold up like the Guidewear, they'll be fine. But for some reason, even a handful of trips with my Ultralights, just like that link's author, they were falling apart. So, even with very limited use...it's hard to say since as hobster mentions with same boots as mine, and a fair amount of use, they are doing OK.

First I want to say thanks for the input from those of you who really "use" you gear!
I drove to Cabela's today (15 minutes from home) #1 to look at the boots and #2 to see if they had them in my size (13). Again this sale is for 5 hours, limited to stock on hand. They did have 2 pair of 13 (out of about 10 pair on hand) which I tried on with 2 pair of socks and they were okay. I know, that is standing on a floor in Cabela's.
With the fact that I live this close, considering their warranty and $49.99 and I have a $25 gift certificate, I think they are worth a try. I paid $20 for my Crocks at Freddies last year:rolleyes: but I wear them a lot so that was money well spent but not for wading in the river.

azbohunter said:
First I want to say thanks for the input from those of you who really "use" you gear!
I drove to Cabela's today (15 minutes from home) #1 to look at the boots and #2 to see if they had them in my size (13). Again this sale is for 5 hours, limited to stock on hand. They did have 2 pair of 13 (out of about 10 pair on hand) which I tried on with 2 pair of socks and they were okay. I know, that is standing on a floor in Cabela's.
With the fact that I live this close, considering their warranty and $49.99 and I have a $25 gift certificate, I think they are worth a try. I paid $20 for my Crocks at Freddies last year:rolleyes: but I wear them a lot so that was money well spent but not for wading in the river.

For what it's worth, I wear a 12 1/2 shoe and use size 13 of the Ultralights and with the wader booties and wool socks, they fit well.

I also think with your intended use and only $25 out-of-pocket, your selection is probably worth a try. I hope they fare well for you on the Deschutes. Though I didn't test their warranty, I've read that the 'lifetime' warranty is not your life, but an established life of the product determined by Cabelas. Considering my boots were failing at the 2 month mark, they probably would have honored that. So if you experience a relatively short life, you are probably safe to assume they will cover you. In short, I think your choice is worth a shot, all things considered.

Not to hijack the thread, but do you guys think they last longer if your wading boots are dried out once in a while or do you just leave them wet? I leave mine in the truck most of the time and they remain wet.

Thanks ChezJfrey, That's kind of how I feel about it too. $25 out of pocket is not a huge gamble. I would like to find shoes in 12 1/2?? It seems it is either 12 or 13 for me but I think the 13 in this case will work well. I have read about guys wearing socks on "the outside" of the neoprene feet, reportedly those guys said they got much less wear of the neoprene that way. Any thoughts on that, again, I am really new to all this stuff so I may ask a lot of dumb questions!

azbohunter said:
Thanks ChezJfrey, That's kind of how I feel about it too. $25 out of pocket is not a huge gamble. I would like to find shoes in 12 1/2?? It seems it is either 12 or 13 for me but I think the 13 in this case will work well. I have read about guys wearing socks on "the outside" of the neoprene feet, reportedly those guys said they got much less wear of the neoprene that way. Any thoughts on that, again, I am really new to all this stuff so I may ask a lot of dumb questions!

In a Bill Herzog book I have, he suggests wearing socks on the outside for just the reason you state. I can see where it probably adds longevity to the neoprene by acting to filter some sand/dirt and prevent abrasion between the boot and neoprene...couldn't hurt.

hobster said:
Not to hijack the thread, but do you guys think they last longer if your wading boots are dried out once in a while or do you just leave them wet? I leave mine in the truck most of the time and they remain wet.

I don't know...I leave mine outside on the porch, and while it gets a bit better air circulation than in a vehicle, with our damp and cold air, mine also remain wet. I'm also curious whether that contributes to my poor boot life and if I should proactively dry them with warm air in the garage or something.

I'm pretty sure not drying yur boots after going out can play a pretty big part in deterioration of the "cloth like" material of the boot, I always bring my boots inside after a day on the river to dry them out, not only because I think it helps prolong the life of my boots but also because I like putting on dry boots rather then wet ones.