Bushwhacking and a machete

C
ChezJfrey
So I'm thinking I want to get a machete to make some bushwhacking easier...have had to do a bit of this in the past and without one, well let's just say it's troublesome and slow.

I'm debating a 14" golok style vs. an 18" latin style. I like the idea of longer length for clearing growth near the ground, but the shorter golok has more power behind it for chopping away woodier branches. Anyone here use a machete for this and have comments or advice?

I haven't use one in years but the longer the better!

LOL!

I did notice 'zombie' always seems to crop up in any online machete review.

Are you blazing a trail to the fishing hole or just the blackberries in your back yard? I believe my kid's search and rescue group uses the Gerber mentioned above so it must be good.

I have seen the Gerber. Looks pretty nice. Gerber makes great stuff!

C_Run said:
Are you blazing a trail to the fishing hole or just the blackberries in your back yard? I believe my kid's search and rescue group uses the Gerber mentioned above so it must be good.

Fishing expedition. I remember a couple spots last year that get overgrown during the summer and it's rough going when I get back for winter, due to blackberries and other brush. Figured a machete this time around would help. I've seen both good and bad reviews of the Gerber, so I'm not sure about that one yet. Condor gets mostly rave reviews, and I'm now leaning to the Parang style (not going to order from that specific site, but used the URLs because my corporate's Websense doesn't block the site due to 'Weapons' :) ):

ChezJfrey said:
So I'm thinking I want to get a machete to make some bushwhacking easier...have had to do a bit of this in the past and without one, well let's just say it's troublesome and slow.

I'm debating a 14" golok style vs. an 18" latin style. I like the idea of longer length for clearing growth near the ground, but the shorter golok has more power behind it for chopping away woodier branches. Anyone here use a machete for this and have comments or advice?

Hey Bro. Thanks for making a thread about this! lol. I am in the same exact situation these days. Not to mention Brush and blackberry bushes don't mix with waders. I will throw some advice at ya tho if you are looking to make a trail/game tail a little better to hike on. If it a trail to that "secret hole" That may be a little tuff to get to, Only chop what bush/brush is needed. If there is anything you never touch while walking the trail, leave it. Then cut it down when needed later on. That is what i do :P My last hike down to the river was crazy tuff with the intense thick forest.

Gerber is good, but seems to dull a little quicker? I have been looking at the K-bar's but have only found one up to like 20" or something like that. Longer would be better for intense bush wacking.

i like the kukri blades by cold steel good price sharp and lots of leverage behind it. i had on in the military for a few years and evan had it in afghanistan for $hits and giggles lol but it ended up being used to pass time and boredom cutting 2x4s and 4x4s and i can tell you that with little effort it cuts them! so brush and small limbs stand no chance aginst it and with the rubber handles they dont slip when wet and you can keep a good grip on them

I read that the kukri style is a good, all arounder. Also, that Cold Steel makes a good one. But, I did read that someone suggested that while they make really good, wood-choppers, their personal experience is that brush clearing is not their strong suit. Perhaps, I pulled the trigger too soon, but I opted for that Condor Parang. I'll update when I get it and give it a try.