Best bank fishing tips for Timothy?

Setherc
Setherc
Headed to annual camping trip next week with some family members. Hadn’t had major luck with bank fishing the last couple of years, and really want to give my young nieces and nephew a solid experience with catching some rainbows this time. Best spot on the lake to go, and best bait or lures to use? I am already loaded with power eggs, regular PB, some rooster tails and will pick up worms and salmon eggs before we go. Any tips from you pros would be awesome!

Float your Power Eggs OFF of the bottom, with about 4' of leader to start out. With a sliding/slip sinker: so when a fish hits the bait they won't feel the weight. If there are no hits, shorten the leader.

This is also my favorite Rooster Tail for trout. It's their "Fire Tiger" pattern. Cast and retrieve slowly.

1720720845875.png

troutdude said:
Float your Power Eggs OFF of the bottom, with about 4' of leader to start out. With a sliding/slip sinker: so when a fish hits the bait they won't feel the weight. If there are no hits, shorten the leader.

This is also my favorite Rooster Tail for trout. It's their "Fire Tiger" pattern. Cast and retrieve slowly.

View attachment 640716
Thank you for the tips! I’ll double check that I have some slip sinkers. This is my favorite rooster tail. Always had great luck in other spots with this and brown.

Reactions: troutdude
You're very welcome!

Here's a pic of how to make a slip sinker rig. I always add a small plastic bead, though, between the sinker and the swivel. So the sinker doesn't catch on the knot and/or the swivel; and slides freely. I usually use size 8 bait hooks and two, or three, Power Eggs. Also...sometimes trout will only hit one color, during an outing. So I always carry multiple colors of the Power Eggs.

1720798824419.jpeg

And this slip bobber rig works if it's not too windy; and it seems like the fish are close to the surface. With a bobber stopper on the main line; and above the bobber (so the stopper is threaded onto the main line, before you thread the bobber on. You can adjust depth by sliding the stopper up or down your line.

1720798950227.jpeg

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Reactions: Setherc
P.S. Glad that you've already discovered how effective a fire tiger Rooster Tail is. I've had days of 30+ trout with those!

troutdude said:
You're very welcome!

Here's a pic of how to make a slip sinker rig. I always add a small plastic bead, though, between the sinker and the swivel. So the sinker doesn't catch on the knot and/or the swivel; and slides freely. I usually use size 8 bait hooks and two, or three, Power Eggs. Also...sometimes trout will only hit one color, during an outing. So I always carry multiple colors of the Power Eggs.

View attachment 640717

And this slip bobber rig works if it's not too windy; and it seems like the fish are close to the surface. With a bobber stopper on the main line; and above the bobber (so the stopper is threaded onto the main line, before you thread the bobber on. You can adjust depth by sliding the stopper up or down your line.

View attachment 640718

Good luck and let us know how you do.
Thank you so much for all of the great information! That was so kind of you to spend the time to give me all those details. I’ve got a few screenshots 😃 I’ll make another trip to grab a couple more things before we go. I’ll definitely report back! Appreciate it!

I would
Also add dont fish mid day focus your efforts early in the morning and later evening time like after 5 gives you lots of time to play in the water b4 its time to get serious ive caught some real dandys up there on bobber and nightcrawler my favorite way to catch them good luck

Reactions: troutdude and Setherc
Thank you! We have always gone in the later evening, but we will try some mornings this trip too! Is there a particually good place of the lake that is best? We’ve gone by the dam with limited success.

These two areas circled in red are good starting points when im up there

Setherc said:
Thank you! We have always gone in the later evening, but we will try some mornings this trip too! Is there a particually good place of the lake that is best? We’ve gone by the dam with limited success.
I've caught some nice 16"-18" trout from the bank walking south of the ramp at North Arm Campground using spinners.

Diehard said:
These two areas circled in red are good starting points when im up there
Thank you! We don’t go up with a boat, so it’s just bank fishing.

bajafire said:
I've caught some nice 16"-18" trout from the bank walking south of the ramp at North Arm Campground using spinners.
Perfect, we will try that! Thank you!

BTW the Oak Grove Fork outlet, has always produced for me from the western bank. And from about the actual outlet (where it turns into the Oak Grove Fork of the Clackamas system) up to around 200 yards up the peninsula, from the outlet.

Last edited:
Setherc said:
Thank you! We don’t go up with a boat, so it’s just bank fishing.
Those are bank fishing spots guess i should have circled the bank in red lol good luck my family and i love it up there

Here's the Oak Grove Fork bank that I mentioned. Use the 4' leader OFF the bottom, where the depth is deeper. But reduce that length as you get closer to the outlet; as it's shallower there. Just follow the Southshore trail in this pic. A 1/4 to 1/2 ounce sliding sinker should get your bait out far enough to score.

1721074924765.png

Just a point of interest. I have recently been having a lot of success using Garlic flavored power bait

Reactions: troutdude and Diehard