Backpacking fishing kit

P
pdxnewbie
Hello Folks,
I'm not an avid fisherman, but go fishing once in a while as its relaxing and helps to unwind. I also go on frequent hiking/backpacking trips and would like get some opinion on what kit to carry. Just wondering if its possible to catch a fish or two for dinner :-)

Usually when I go on long backpacking trips I don't take fishing all that seriously, so I don't bring any of my good gear. However, I always throw in a cheap telescoping rod into my backpack. They are made by Shakespere and run less than $20. They take up very little room in your pack, and extend out to about 6 feet. Easy to throw spinners at some high lakes trout without taking up much room or weight in your pack.

Daiwa makes a 4-piece lightweight pack-rod which runs around $60 and is actually a really nice trout rod. The rod is a little fragile and I have broken a couple (not on fish; my own fault).

http://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-h...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=COnRgcP_grgCFaU5QgodMWUAOA

Otherwise, I will follow up with what n8r1 said about the cheap Shakespeare telescoping rods. They aren't real special but get the job done and you can't beat the ease of packing, unpacking and fishing at a moment's notice with them. I have one in my car AT ALL TIMES.

I agree with n8r1. The telescope fishing pole kicks ass and is easy to pack around and its cheap.

Eagle Claw makes some nice pack rods, too. I have an old 6' 6" Daiwa composite rod that breaks down to five sections, and it works well for tight spaces.

Last edited:
I've had a 6 piece Daiwa Apollo for quite awhile. I don't know if they make that model now but I like it because it breaks down to 15" and fits in a suitcase or day pack just fine. Very nice little spinning rod that's been around.

UglyStik SPL 1102 5" Ultra Light is my hiking favorite: 2 piece and very light action, a small Shimano spinning reel, and box of small spinners/spoons (always including a few "00" Mepps in silver and gold). never a shortage of fish to eat.

Fishing is a big part of my long hiking trips, I often also carry my 4piece Fenwick 8" flyrod, reel, and box of flies...cheers, roger

Just ordered the Penfishingrod thing, not sure how good it is. ANy idea what kinda bait/fly/spoon is good for Oregon backcountry trouts :-)

pdxnewbie said:
Just ordered the Penfishingrod thing, not sure how good it is. ANy idea what kinda bait/fly/spoon is good for Oregon backcountry trouts :-)

Mepps "00". Silver is best, Gold is a close second. Almost no stores carry them, they can be ordered.

pdxnewbie said:

I like Kastmasters, 1/8th oz