Any suggestion for a Mexico (fishing) trip

D
DYJ
The wife and I have some time off and are planning a trip to Mexico. I would love to get out and fish down there. Any recomemndation or tips on planning this trip? We've never been to mexico...

Do you have any specific area of Mexico in mind you want to be? North, south, central, any?

I remember when I lived in México that there was a small population of wild Rainbow Trout up in the mountains on the west side of México. I never got to fish there but man that would have been a blast!!!

Where are you and the wife going? I would assume that most likely a typical tourist location, right? When I was in Ixtapa & Zihuatanejo you could take a small boat out to the island in the bay there and go spear fishing. That might be fun!! :)

-Spydey

We have no real destination yet. We put in time off for a trip to Jamiaca and our travel agent said we planned it on thier indipendence day and the resort will be crowded with locals. One of our favorite thing about Negril is how secluded it was. So niether of us have been to Mexico and figured we'd try it.

We do want to stay on the beach. As much fun as exploring the mountains of Mexico sounds, I don't think I'll talk the wife into it. She's under the impression ALL of mexico besides the beach resorts in the west is ran by drug cartells...

From the internet, it kinda looks like you can charter a boat just about anywhere along the baja pen. We have friends that love Cabo telling us that's the place to be.... so she is leaning towards there. I wouldn't minds staying somewhere a lil less "americanized"... but then again I've never been either

Well, let me make a recommendation for you then. Go to Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo. !!!!! It is on the southern coast, the beaches are FABULOUS!!! Not very americanized. It is a tourist area but not huge like Cabo (I don't like cabo :naughty:) and not like cozumel or acapulco. I like Ixtapa very much. You can walk around to almost any of the shops and beaches. There are tons of things to do!!! It was a blast!! Plus Alaskan Airlines had (don't know if they do any more) a direct flight from PDX to Ixtapa. If you had to choose between Ixtapa or Zihuatanejo, I would go with Ixtapa. Zihuatanejo is a taxi cab ride away, like 40 mins.

Have fun man!! :)

-Spydey

Last edited:
Been to Ixtapa/ Zihuatanejo twice. Both times we stayed at Club Med. Zihuatanejo is a bit of a drive. The neat part of this trip was the locals fishing with throw nets in the surf.

Also, been to Cabo a few times, Puerto Viarta, and Cancun. I would suggest going to Cabo because there are several hotels close to downtown. Club Med was fun too.

DYJ said:
We do want to stay on the beach. As much fun as exploring the mountains of Mexico sounds, I don't think I'll talk the wife into it. She's under the impression ALL of mexico besides the beach resorts in the west is ran by drug cartells...

Unfortunately she isn't too far off base, and the problems are extending to the west as well. Very sad...