Advice for newbies

A
Ahaps
Hi kind people. I'm visiting my brother who lives in Welches this week who has never fly fished and I'd like him to try it and hopefully get hooked. I have fly fished but am far from an expert. We have a week together to ourselves. No gear.
We're also keen on going spin casting for salmon with some locals. We're in our mid 50s. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Admin
Ahaps said:
Hi kind people. I'm visiting my brother who lives in Welches this week who has never fly fished and I'd like him to try it and hopefully get hooked. I have fly fished but am far from an expert. We have a week together to ourselves. No gear.
We're also keen on going spin casting for salmon with some locals. We're in our mid 50s. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Well, Ahaps, your in luck, I think..if not mistaken, theres a Fly shop in Welches. Been there many years.
A good source for advice and gear. Oddly enuf, its calked The Fly Shop if memory serves! And it sounds like you have rare time to Explore and do some Homework! Good Luck!

Thanks a mil davpot!

Hi All. Arrived safely. Just a heads up, the fly fishing shop in Welches is now more a mountain bike shop with very limited fishing gear. I suppose next closest shop is in Sandy. We are right next to the Salmon river in Welches in the other side of the bridge. Couldn't see any fish or rises. Anyone have a friend or relative or preference for Columbia River salmon guides?

Ahaps said:
Hi All. Arrived safely. Just a heads up, the fly fishing shop in Welches is now more a mountain bike shop with very limited fishing gear. I suppose next closest shop is in Sandy. We are right next to the Salmon river in Welches in the other side of the bridge. Couldn't see any fish or rises. Anyone have a friend or relative or preference for Columbia River salmon guides?
Well Ahap, Thats what happens when you Turn Your Back! There might be something in Sandy or Gresham. I used to have Very Good luck at Mirror lake. I hiked up there 4 tears ago and found evidence of many fish! Lots of brookies and some nice cutts. 45 min hike up, and 30 min hike down. You may prefer Trillium. Or other hike-in lakes this time of year. I kinda think our FIRES put a dent in the FF industry!
Homework is essential,….or not!!
Good Luck!
PS: Salmon River should have some cutties!

Funny you should say Davpot, as we walked up to mirror lake yesterday. Didn't see anyone fishing or any fish/ rises. We'll visit Sandy today. Did the fruit loop trail Friday. Apples are amazing

Ahaps said:
Funny you should say Davpot, as we walked up to mirror lake yesterday. Didn't see anyone fishing or any fish/ rises. We'll visit Sandy today. Did the fruit loop trail Friday. Apples are amazing
Good for you both Ahaps! You were lucky if you missed the crowds. But I assure you there are lots of fish there. Thanks for the apple report! They are something else! As I get older, HR seems Much further away!😣 Lawrence lake is worth a try if you have time. Good Luck to you both😉

Yes, definitely check out the orchards. I must admit my brother had me eat edibles for the first time and then go on the fruit loop. We were all teenagers once but at 57...well, an interesting experience. Did you just cast from shore at mirror lake, worm and bobber?

Ahaps said:
Yes, definitely check out the orchards. I must admit my brother had me eat edibles for the first time and then go on the fruit loop. We were all teenagers once but at 57...well, an interesting experience. Did you just cast from shore at mirror lake, worm and bobber?
Yes Ahaps. I used to use a small bubble and flies (wets, dries, nymphs) about 4ft 3# leader. Flies: adams, royal coachman, caddis nymphs/dries. I wiuld expect some visual activity this time of year. The RC is Hard To Beat generally😇
Good Luck! Please report👍
Davpot

I've used a spinning reel, with a similar rig as @Davpot described above. Only with Woolly Buggers and/or Teeny Nymphs; in black, olive green, and brown. Secret: real in slowly; then go slower.

Let us know how you do.

Tight lines,

TD

P.S. You are about a month too early for Salmon. More like 2 months early, that far upstream. More water, and colder water, is what they need before the runs begin.