Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bank plunking for salmon and steelhead

Bank plunking for salmon and steelhead

There are many ways to plunk for salmon and steelhead on Oregon rivers, but here's the most basic setup

I'd edit this a bit from when I made it last spring, but the dropper length can be anywhere from 0-12 inches. Rarely more than that. The Spinglo should be in the 2-4 size, with size 1 hooks (sockeye) and upto 5/0 for big chinook.

edit: here's more info i just put together
    Last edited by The Nothing; 11-25-2009 at 10:45 AM.

You can also add a second leader with a plug. Heres how.

Before making all this, Thread a large corkie up yer line. Then rig this rig normally. When youve rigged.
    Take a toothpick or whatever and Peg the corkie about 15" above your rig.
    Cast this out in the current and wait till it sinks. Then take a Kwikfish, Hotshot, Wiggle Wart or wahetver plug and tie it on a 20-30" leader. And at the tag end tie it on a swivel with a snap.
    Then snap the snap on your main line and throw it in the water. The action/force of the lure will slide the snap down to the corkie you pegged earlyer. You know its there when the tip of the rod is vibrating.

Go ahead, Say its a stupid idea. I think it sounds pretty good.
    Please check out my Blog! http://www.fishoregon.blogspot.com/

V.I.P.
    T-B

I've never done it but I've heard of others sliding a kwik fish down like that.....

V.I.P.
    hey thats my favorite spin n glo for springers!
    ><)))*>
    Gut Fish?
    ><((((o>

V.I.P.
    Really close to what i use. I run 15-25lb main to a barrel swivel with a slider above. 4-5 oz wieght. 2-3ft leader 15-25lb. spinglow and then a few beads. either red/orange/pink ones or gold and silver ones. then either a bait loop on the hook or a flurencent tube. And then i put a drop or 2 of shrimp oil in the spin glo and a small spray of wd40 to cover up the man scent.
    Last edited by Thuggin4Life; 11-24-2009 at 08:46 AM.
    Andy aka "Guide Status"

Christopher Lee Rose R.I.P. homie.

V.I.P.
    Nothing, why the beads above the sng?
    ><)))*>
    Gut Fish?
    ><((((o>

Quote Originally Posted by Thuggin4Life View Post
    Really close to what i use. I run 15-25lb main to a barrel swivel with a slider above. 4-5 oz wieght. 2-3ft leader 15-25lb. spinglow and then a few beads. either red/orange/pink ones or gold and silver ones. then either a bait loop on the hook or a flurencent tube. And then i put a drop or 2 of shrimp oil in the spin glo and a small spray of wd40 to cover up the man scent.
    Yeah, all the plunkers around here spray w/ WD-40 as well.
    "My greatest fear in life is that no one will remember me after I'm gone". --- Some dead guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtopher View Post
    Nothing, why the beads above the sng?
    I put a bead or two above the spinglo to reduce the drag in the water. A little more hydrodynamic and, when running multiple hooks, I don't need as much lead.

V.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    Yeah, all the plunkers around here spray w/ WD-40 as well.
    A lot of people also think wd-40 attracts fish. I just give my gear a light spray before I cast it out. It was how I was taught.
    Andy aka "Guide Status"

I read it dosent attract fish, It just cleans the human and other scents off the lure, And whats left. the salmon and steel like the sweet smell. Something like that.

But who cares! It catches fish thats all that matters

V.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troutier Bassier View Post
    But who cares! It catches fish thats all that matters
    Uhh think again big boy... WD 40 is mostly petroleum. If hundreds of fishermen hitting the river are putting a can of WD 40 into the river every 50 trips, what is that like? Why not just dump a barrel of gas into the river, and make them stay home?

Do NOT use WD-40.

Try spraying some in the bathtub and swimming in it, it doesn't feel too good does it.

OKAY I was kidding about the last part, but seriously, don't :naughty::naughty:

Fishing scents were made for a reason...

I'm goin fishin tomorrow!
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    I agree, fish attractant does the same thing and doesn't do harm to the environment.

V.I.P.
    I try to use a light spray and don't use it as an atractant. thats what the scent is for. its to mask other non fishy scent and it i use it in moderation. and i dont soak my plugs in it. and i know its bad for the environment and probably illegal. any one using wd should use it sparingly.
    Andy aka "Guide Status"

I'm goin fishin tomorrow!
    But if your using scent and your using WD40 to kill scent don't you think your cutting back the effectiveness of your attractant? Afterall IF WD40 kills scent it would also kill the attractant scent you just put on along with human scent.

V.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverfan View Post
    But if your using scent and your using WD40 to kill scent don't you think your cutting back the effectiveness of your attractant? Afterall IF WD40 kills scent it would also kill the attractant scent you just put on along with human scent.
    maybe it kills the scent but still even though the shrimp scent got covered up so did my scent. But i put drops of shrimp oil down my line after a quick blast of wd and a the shrimp oil slides down my line and i make sure to get plent into my spin glow slowly releasing scent whil my gear is out and the i think the wd washes of quicker than the shrimp oil because somtimes there is still some down it he spin glow. Oh i really like the spin glos with the mylar wings. the seem to work better and just overall look better.
    Andy aka "Guide Status"

Quote Originally Posted by FishSchooler View Post
    Uhh think again big boy... WD 40 is mostly petroleum. If hundreds of fishermen hitting the river are putting a can of WD 40 into the river every 50 trips, what is that like? Why not just dump a barrel of gas into the river, and make them stay home?

Do NOT use WD-40.

Try spraying some in the bathtub and swimming in it, it doesn't feel too good does it.

OKAY I was kidding about the last part, but seriously, don't :naughty::naughty:

Fishing scents were made for a reason...
    No wounder you dont catch very many fish.

Just kidding. Haha

This set up can also be used for steelhead. Just down size spin-n-glo and hook size.
    Can also use 2 spin-n-glo per set up, spaced approx 12"-18" apart. When this set up is used, most fish seem to go for the upper spin-n-glo.
    "My greatest fear in life is that no one will remember me after I'm gone". --- Some dead guy.

Like i pointed out, it was a basic setup. Theres much that can be done from there. I've actually seen more hookups on the lowest spinglo, than an upper.

V.I.P.
    Never seen or even thought about two glos. Guess you guys fish a diffferent river than me I notice you guys se more wieght. I'm guessing bigger glows since you mentioned down sizing for steel. not sure what 2 sizes i use but the bigger one could be a small salmon glo. And the small one i use has a few smaller sizes I might try this year on a smaller river with lighter line. what do you use to stop the lower glo from slidding into the upper one? Is there a hook along with it? I can picture that.
    Andy aka "Guide Status"

editted first post for more info!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Fishing in Willamette Zone
Fishing in Northwest Oregon
Fishing in Southwest Oregon
Fishing in Central Oregon
Fishing in Northeast Oregon
Fishing in Southeast Oregon
Salt Water Fishing in Oregon
Fishing outside Oregon